Can't follow directions

NurseFrawg

Question

Hello all. Well now I feel like a complete dork. I have moved on to a new project, but evidently I can't follow directions. I am trying to make "Ellie Elephant" from RH's Animal Bazaar leaflet. But the problem goes a little farther than that.

Okay here goes. It says that the rounds for each piece is worked continuously without joinging. What exactly does this mean? I know it says to put markers of contrasting yarn between the last stitch of one round and the first of the next.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Elizabeth

16 answers to this question

Hello all who have helped me in this endeavor. Miss Ellie may be done by bedtime tonight. :hook I am happy that I have worked this pattern, but I am not so happy with the outcome:ohdear . Maybe with the legs on it will look better. I will post the finished product in the miscellaneous show and tell board.

Elizabeth

Working in rounds, without joining? One must place marker at end of each row, MUST MUST, this will solve your questions, and also count count count. The pattern you posted is quite simple, and being only a few stitches no big deal to count them. After each row, move the marker to last stitch of each row. Count. There is no was to see where the next round starts, unless you u put in a marker, (use a piece of yarn, safety pin, thread, anything if just to mark that stitch, that is if you do not have any crochet markers. Just follow the directions as stated and it will come out the right way, good luck. Making hats (bucket hats,) are like this, marking each round makes it go fast and easy, I of course thought I was to good to do that, so when started making the hats, I was so frustrated, then I marked and no more problems. Hope this helps.

Okay happily working through Miss Ellie... and wham I get to a part that says:

....dc in last sc, ch 3, sl st in same sc, sl st in the next row end... What same sc??? The same sc of which I did the dc in?

Yes!

I know you've frogged it and have started over, hopefully it will be easier for you the second time out. Figured I'd answer this for you so you'll know when you get to that part again. You'll get there! Hooray for you for not giving up! :cheer

Well I have frogged my elephant:thair ... I am chalking this up to ummm experience:badidea . I think my first mistake was using the wrong weight of yarn.... I thought ohhh it'll just make it bigger.... well It made it umm stiff and well the trunk looked slightly perverse. So I have chosen another weight of yarn. I hope that super sport will be okay for using when it calls for baby soft. I have some baby soft and feeling the two next to each other they felt close. So now instead of a yellow elephant I will haave a purple one ... I have some verigated yarn that I think is a baby yarn and I will trim Miss Ellie in it.

Wish me Luck

Elizabeth:elle

All I gotta say is this elephant better be cute... because it is causing me to go crazy. It's like I am transfixed by it. I toss it across the room and then feel really bad and go get after a few minutes. Some how though after just a few minutes of putting it down and picking it up again the pattern makes so much more sense.... :think Does this mean I am turning into a real "hooker":hook ?

Elizabeth

Okay happily working through Miss Ellie... and wham I get to a part that says:

....dc in last sc, ch 3, sl st in same sc, sl st in the next row end... What same sc??? The same sc of which I did the dc in? :think:thair:bang

Maybe scarves aren't so bad....

Elizabeth

I raided my scrapbooking/card making statsh and found some tiny tiny clothespins. They work AWESOME for marking the begining of a round. They are easy to remove and put back on. But they stay in place great! When you get to the clothespin you have come to the end of that row. Remove the pin, create your stitch in the stitch the pin was in, replace the clothspin and keep going! It is important to keep track on some projects because you may need to decrease, or increase on a certain row.

Hope I helped a little. I concider myself a beginner still.

Good Luck:hook

Lyn in NH

Thanks for the help... so far I have a trunk and half an ear.... I know it's not much. It does remind me of an old adage... How do you eat an elephant... One bite at a time... well how do you crochet an elephant... one stitch at a time.

I will post a pic when I finish it.

Elizabeth

Okay here goes ...

ch 4; join with a sl st to fork a ring :check

Rnd 1: ch 1; 8 sc in ring- 8 sc :check

Rnd 2: Sc in back loops of each sc around :check

Rnds 3-8: Sc in both loops of each sc around :check

Rnd 9: Sc in every other sc around- 4 sc :check

OMG :idea:thair Grrrrr Okay maybe I need to learn how to read ... cause

Rnd 10: 2 sc in each sc around- 8 sc

Then it does it again for 16 sc.

Okay going to try this again. Wish me luck :clover The thing that worries me is the without joining. So okay let me try this... when I finish for instance round 1 do I just then go onto round 2 and then round three kinda spiraling up?

I just want to make a goofy little elephant:sigh . This working in the round defect that I have is also stopping me from making really cute hats:angry . Well I am just going to keeping working with it. If I dont end up with an elephant I will call it a monster and be really hip:lol .

Elizabeth

Thank you that does help, but it leads to more questions. :huh

It says that you do 8 sc around and then one in every other sc totaling to 4. Then it says sc in each sc around to total 16 sc. How does that work if you are still only doing one sc in each sc?

I feel like I am doomed to scarves. :blush

Thanks

Elizabeth

To continue rounds without joining means you don't slip stitch the last stitch of a round to the first one, you just keep on crocheting. It's always a good idea to use stitch markers when working like this, because if you lose count of which stitch you're on, you could be in big trouble. I hope that helps.

Archived