What breathes?

AidanM

Hi,

I want to make a jacket out of something that will be warm but that will breathe a little. Acrylic is out, I just think it'd be too sweaty. And wool is expensive. Cotton stretches too much for my comfort. :lol So that's all of the fibers I know of, anything else out there?

Knit Picks wool isn't that expensive (all things considered)... also, Peace Fleece sometimes have deals on cones, as do other vendors.

Really, wool or a wool blend is probably your best option for a jacket. It has better memory, breathes, and can be nice and cozy. You could also try a cotton-acrylic blend, as they tend to keep shape fairly well and breathe.

Soy silk and bamboo yarns are fairly expensive because the process is a bit more involved.

Alpaca, silk, qiviut, mohair ... alpaca is really hot, silk is expensive, qiviut is even more expensive, mohair sheds. :)

If you have an idea for what gauge yarn you're looking for, we may be able to offer suggestions... :)

I'm really looking for a worsted weight yarn. Um, I'm not sure what the gauge would mean to ya'll as it's actually a knitting project. :blush

some of us are knitters too. ;)

I love it, wish I could knit well enough to make that. Aran yarn is kind of a bulky/worsted weight I think, so Wool-Ease sounds good, BUT make sure you work up gauge swatches to make sure you have the right size needles for your yarn and pattern.

Kathy

I am DEFINITELY going to work up a swatch first. I actually have a skein of wool ease, but it's tied up in another project. I may just frog it so I can do a swatch anyway, since I don't really like it much.

I love it, wish I could knit well enough to make that. Aran yarn is kind of a bulky/worsted weight I think

Aran is slightly thicker than worsted, as we discussed in another thread here that Aiden started. In practice, that typically means that you can use worsted weight yarn but use a larger needle/hook size to get gauge without the fabric being too open.

Archived