need help with granny sqaure

leighann123

Question

Hi, I'm a brand new crocheter and apparently I thought a good first project would be an afghan made of a bunch of granny squares...well...there lies the problem...i am having a really hard time making the square..:think it keeps coming out like a circle..and i think half the problem is i can not understand what im reading in the pattern! haah so ive looked up a bunch of internet sites and made and remade the squares...but they keep looking like circles...does anybody maybe know a good site or a good way to learn how to make the granny square?!?! thanks so much!!

4 answers to this question

I would be more than happy to help you figure one out. Please email me. If you wanted to email me and point me to the pattern you have tried, I could work it round by round with you and take pictures as I go to help you out. If you have instant messaging through AOL or Yahoo, we could set a time to both be on and work on one. Or we could go in a private room in the chat room here. Sometimes it is easier just having a different pair of eyes look at the pattern with you and help you walk through it row by row.

Another option, might be to call your local yarn store and see if one of the instructors or yarn people would sit down with you and help you figure it out. My store has an instructor in the store 4 days a week and she will actually just sit and knit or crochet some days so that she is available to assist people with their current projects.

Let me know if you want to chat or email.

i started out by doing a granny square and just kept going to make a blanket rather than making lots of little squares and sewing together as i hate sewing. it starts out as a circle but then you have to make the corners to turn it into a square. http://www.stitchguide.com is a good site. http://www.ethknits.co.uk/ is a site with help for making granny squares. :hook

Here is a granny square which starts off as a square.

Ch4, join with a slipstitch to form a loop.

Ch3, (to stand as 1st DC) 2DC into loop, *CH2, 3DC into loop* repeat twice more, CH2, join with a slipstitch to the top of the CH3. (4 CH2 corners and 4 3DC groups)

Slip st into the next 2 DC and into the CH2 space. CH3, now work 2DC, CH2, 3DC into same place, *CH1, 3DC, CH2,3DC into next CH corner,* repeat to the last corner and finish with CH1, slipstitch into the top of CH3.

This is the bacic granny Square which gets bigger by putting 1 extra 3DC group and CH1 between each corner on each round.

If you are changing colour, you do not need to do the slipstitches along the top of the 3DC group, just break off the yarn and join the new colour into any corner and carry on as before.

If you want to just carry on and make a large square, be aware that the outside edge will become wavy so you can leave out the CH1 between the CH3 groups. Keeps it a bit firmer.

I usually make about 7 or 8 inch blocks for a baby afghan and use 20, 5 X 4, to get a good size.

If you are making for a big bed you can do bigger squares.

Remember, the more you break the yarn, the more ends you have to finish off later.

Hope this is helpful.

Colleen:hook :hook :hook :hook

Archived