Has Anyone Flown Internationally Recently with Crochet Hooks? Ok or No Go?

I only have aluminum hooks -- I was at AC Moore last weekend and didn't think to pick up a plastic hook! Drat!

So, is it nothing to worry about, or should I leave my project at home? If I lose my N hook to the TSA I might take it hard. I can't buy Boye hooks at my local craft stores for whatever silly reason.

*Theoretically* crochet hooks are permissible, but TSA agents have the right to confiscate "permissible" items if they choose to do so, and there is nothing you can do about it. I've taken hooks on planes, but only hooks I'm willing to lose. So far, nothing has ever been confiscated, but I don't take chances with hooks I want to keep.

Transporting Knitting Needles & Needlepoint

Traveling with Special Items

Knitting needles are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage.

Items needed to pursue a Needlepoint project are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage with the exception of circular thread cutters or any cutter with a blade contained inside which cannot go through the checkpoint and must go in your checked baggage.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1252.shtm

Maybe this will help you!

I've flown in the states- however ANYTHING aluminum, metal, etc you can not take on the plane---your best bet is to take plastic. I'm not a fan of plastic but when a girl needs to crochet while flying or waiting a girl needs to do what she's gotta do! The plastic wasn't bad for the minimal time I had to use them.

Well, I checked through my hooks and it turns out I have two "I" hooks so... one is going on a big adventure. We'll see how far I get. *crosses fingers*

I even bought a wooden hook but I bought the wrong dang size for the particular project I was working on.

Archived