Correct tension on hook/thread?

hapahaolegirl

Question

I have one more question...

I have been trying to figure out how tight/loose I should make each chair/stitch. I've tried making the same coaster doily a few times and each time I get a wavy effect. I made this doily with double strand thread (picture below) but now with just regular size 10 cotton thread. I've tried making the chains/stitches where the hook just fits through, where I've got to struggle for the hook to get through, and with some slack so the hook easily goes through. None have worked out for me.

IMG_6476.jpg

What is the ideal tension (is that what it's called?) of the yarn and hook? I think knowing this would help me tremendously in improving my work.

Thanks!

Kristen

3 answers to this question

Everyone's tension is different... Figure out what's comfortable for you then change hook sizes to compensate for gauge, it's alot easier to change the hook size then it is to remember to crochet differently through an entire project.

About this doily - it looks to me like it's rippling because there are too many stitches - or at least, that is the effect you get when you add too many stitches to a round. Maybe try going up a hook size or two?

Archived