Thinking of opening my own store

norwinmom

Not sure if this is the place to post, but here goes. The area in which I live does not have a local craft store. I can drive about 20 minutes to get to a joanns or 30 minutes to go to Michaels but they are for all crafts and honestly I feel the yarn selection has been lacking something to be desired. I know there are knitters in my area, they meet at the local library. No meetings for crocheters :(. I am always on the lookout for fellow crocheters. I would love to be able to meet up with other crocheters too. But the thought of opening a specialty store in this day and age scares me. What if I fail at it? But I feel that I have to give it a go. I know yarn is a big seller at Joanns and Michaels but will it be a good seller for me in my own store?

I think it would depend on price. and selection. will you offer a good selection of what you can not find in stores but for a price that makes someone want to return.

and will you offer other things like hooks, markers ect? there would be alot to think about. and location,

As far as meeting with other crocheters, have you tried posting online? There may be others here on Crochetville that live in your area and would like to meet. I started a local group about 2 years ago and we include all fiber arts which is so much fun! I posted here but didn't get much response, then i posted on Ravelry and a couple of people responded, so we started meeting. We've gradually grown to about 8-10 "regulars". Once we got started, we put info in other places, so now most people found out about us otherwise than online.

As far as opening a store, i have no idea. Amy is doing an online class about crochet businesses, not sure if that started already, but maybe you could look into that...

and will you offer other things like hooks, markers ect? there would be alot to think about. and location,

Yeah, I would definatly be selling different hooks, yarn needles, stitch markers, and pattern books. My concern is price though. Do not know I I would be able to keep prices low enough to keep people coming back.

Our online class "Do I Want to Start a Crochet Business?" started today, but registration will be open through noon central time on Sunday.

If you're seriously considering opening a store, this class would be very good for you. It takes a LOT of money to operate a store, and there are many things to consider, from the types of yarns you want to carry (craft-store vs. LYS brands and how that choice will impact profitability), time investment, monetary investment (it's much more expensive than most might think), and so on.

For more in-depth help relating to opening a business, please register for the class. :)

Archived