Report: the CLF Camp Cama Crochet Retreat

jimbo

Just recently got back from the Crochet Liberation Front retreat on Camano Island WA, and it was an incredible success. Another is planned for next year and if you can put it in your schedule, I'd HIGHLY recommend it, not just for gaining more knowledge about crochet, but for the sheer magic of the event. The retreat took place on right on Cama Beach, organized by CLF leader, Laurie Wheeler and her huband Jeff, the Park Ranger. We had cabins available (built in the 1930's and a bit rustic but fun) that were maybe 50 feet from the beach, and a central building where we met for activities.

The Puget Sound Center for Wooden boats is located there and graciously let me use their shop for teaching my hook whittling classes. The shop had all the makings for a great time whittling, including a wood stove that I was able to use to warm the place in the mornings. Fire crackling, a cup of coffee, quiet time before class.... oh it was just FINE! And all the students went home with hooks that they whittled themselves. I've taught some carving before but never had such attentive, interested and fun students.

Can't say much about the other classes because I wasn't able to attend with my teaching schedule, but I did get to meet the instructors and students there too. To drop a famous name, our very own and amazingly talented Karen Whooley was there! And I got to meet her. Really! I have proof! I could show you her autograph on Dippy (Diplohookticus Jimbosei, the world's biggest hook), who is still hovering a few inches off the floor from the experience. And I got to watch her crochet! And we collaborated on a special hook design. Oh what a time!

And I got to meet up again with Bonnie Pierce! Bonnie was there to teach freeform crochet and I was honored and humbled to have dinner with them outside their cabin as the sun set across the Sound, sihlouetting the Olympic mountains in the distance and painting the sky brilliant colors (photo below). Incredible! Bonnie and I also did a little collaboration on bullion hook design, and we ended up with a bullion chophook that we auctioned off at one of the meetings to raise a little funding for the next retreat. In fact, I have one of the bullion chophooks, signed by Bonnie and bearing one of her Bullion pieces up for auction in my blog right now; again to help fund the next retreat.

Oh there was yarn galore there, and each of the attendees got a bag of yarny goodies (except my bag had a few different "goodies" in the form of some very nice wood for hook making!). And there was a "yarn tasting" where lots of different yarns were made available for test hooking. Even I made a little square, and I'm most likely the worst crochetier around.

I could go on and on, and still couldn't do the event justice. It was just that special.

So, if you see an announcement for the next Crochet Liberation Front retreat, (it'll be Oct. 17 - 21, 2011) think about it and make a space in your schedule to come. It's definitely worth going.

Jimbo

post-3105-135897592049_thumb.jpg

It was.. an almost magical event. A time for crochet camraderie, learning, enjoying the scenery (seals, herons, eagles, setting sun on the madrona trees...) It was good for the soul.

Archived