bulky yarn too bulky?

lovingmommy

Question

i just got this amazingly nice soft blue bulky yarn. the problem is that whatever the pattern it always ends up too stiff. i've tried looking on the net for some patterns for bulky yarn and all i come up with is places to buy yarn at. the yarn is called mary maxim: Titan 3 ply bulky type.

i don't want to waste it since someone gave it to me, but i must admit that i have no clue on what to do with it!!!

what do you guys do with stiff bulky yarn?

7 answers to this question

use a bigger hook..

i am thinking if its "stiff" then you are using it too tightly and making a really firm fabric with it .. so use a bigger hook and loosen it up .. see if that works

I was going to suggest the same thing. :)

when i use chunky yarn i use a 6mm hook. you can use bigger too. that is the biggest size i own. with double knitting the normal is between 3.5 and 4.5 mm :hook I made some easy slippers with it. :cheer:):yes:tup

Size Kor larger, neat hats, scarves, etc, look real nice using bulky yarn. I have made a few, I tried to make a shawl with it and it looked like a rug, yuck tore it all out and made real neat scarf and hat.

yeah that is waht i was trying to make. i wanted that pretty blue jean shawl and it did look like a rug, lololol. i'll try your ideas, thanks guys!

yeah that is waht i was trying to make. i wanted that pretty blue jean shawl and it did look like a rug, lololol. i'll try your ideas, thanks guys!
One more tip...sometimes when I get some yarn from a friend or family as a gift and it's too thick and stiff, I just make the garment, etc. and I spray it down with fabric softener water(3 parts water to one part liquid downey) unless a customer is allergic, I handle all my crochet this way, it let's the fibers "relax" event he really cheap stuff :devil LOL

Plus the persons gift smells great!

Hope that helps:D

Archived