Steel hooks

LibiLou

Quick question for those in the know.

With Steel hooks, is it the larger the hook, the smaller the number? I'm trying to figure this whole thing out, and honestly, I don't see much difference in the sizes...lol. And is it the same with thread?

The larger the number, the smaller the hook. For example, a #2 hook is bigger than a #10. Here is a chart you can reference.

The larger the number, the smaller the thread. Size 3 thread is bigger than size 10 (also known as bedspread weight cotton), size 10 thread is bigger than size 20, 30, etc.

confuses me aswell lol

i want to know if you can get a 2.00mm steel hook i have metal but is more like plastic

US size 4 steel hook should measure 2.00mm. The mm size should be on the hook.

Hope this helps.

Emily

My size 4 Boye hook is 2.0mm, but the couple of Susan Bates ones I have are sized smaller it seems--my size 4 Bates hook is 1.75mm. I have this chart bookmarked that lists sizes for Boye and Bates hooks and some others, and the few Bates steel hooks I have seem to follow it: http://www.busy-fingers.com/conversions.htm Not sure why they don't make them the same size, though!

Bates and Boye steel hooks have different sizes for the same numbers. I think they coincide at about 10, but the smaller sizes veer wildly. The Bates hooks decrease by .05 mm per number increase (13 = .95, 14 = .9, etc.), Boye 13 is .85 and 14 is .75. Bates no longer makes 11, 12, 13 and 14. They now make 11/12 and 13/14. The sizing is ok, but the shaft is much thinner, unfortunately, since a threadie uses the shaft to size the loop on the hook. The Japanese Tulip hooks follow the classic Bates sizing scheme, up to size 22 and have a proper shaft size. And of course, the British have (had?) still another numbering scheme.

When I talk about the size hook I am using, I try to specify the mm instead of the size number.

up to size 22
:eek

I've started keeping track of size in mm, too, ever since the time I was making something with my #4 Boye hook and then partway through switched to the #4 Bates hook without noticing the size difference, and they are sooo not the same size!

Archived