Help with Tapestry Crochet

crochet_panda

I've only made a few flat tapestry crocheted items. They were coasters. I used the flat tapestry heart pattern found in Carol's book titled More Tapestry Crochet.

If you can't handle switching hands, you can crochet the even numbered rows in reverse single crochet. It will look just slightly different than if you had crocheted the piece with your right and left hands. If you spend a few hours practicing, I think that you would be able to to switch hands. It's really not that much harder than doing reverse single crochet.

Good Luck :)

Bob

After posting this, I started thinking. I don't know if you are aware, but you cannot take a regular graph and use Carol's flat tapestry method and expect the pattern to look like the graph. For example, her heart graph looks VERY strange. The graph looks like it would create a sloppy looking heart. I wish that I could explain this more clearly, but Carol does not offer any flat tapesty crochet patterns for free so it's a bit difficult to explain without having something visual to show you.

I made a quick graphs so that things can be explained more clearly. It's a simple diamond pattern. Use the green graph for in the round projects and the pink one for flat projects. You will achieve nice, clean lines instead of choppy looking ones.

Both of the graphs are read from bottom to top, starting at the bottom right hand corner. If you are working with the flat tapestry graph, you will crochet all of the odd numbered rows in normal fashion and crochet the even numbered rows by turning the piece at the end of the row, chain 1, then read the graph from LEFT to RIGHT and do reverse single crochet stitches across the row.

There is another alternative. Rather than turning the piece at the end of the row, just chain 1 at the end of the row and switch to your left hand to crochet back across the piece, making sure that you are reading the even numbered row from the LEFT to the RIGHT (notice the arrows on the graph). I've tried out both of the flat tapestry methods and have found out that with a bit of practice, it's not that hard to crochet using your non-dominant hand. Just work with it for a while and you will see how much you improve.

If you are left handed and want to use the GREEN graph, look at the graph in a mirror and it will invert the pattern for a left handed person.

Archived