Ornamental hooks

Burgandy

I only started crocheting about a year ago and so far I have stuck with all the basics you can get at Walmart. My question is about ornamental hooks, the ones that have designs carved into a wider than normal handle. Is there any advantage, other than looks, to using these? Are they easier to use or keep those nasty hand cramps at bay?

Just wondering :D

I personally prefer the Susan Bates hooks over the Wal-Mart hooks. The Boye ones split yarn too easy and the Crystallites I just break in two. I have the larger ones just in case I want to take somthing on a plane with me, but I have broken all the little ones. I have never tried the wooden hooks, so I can't give an opinion on those!

Jessie :turtle:hook

I have borderline carpal tunnel(if I just keep saying it, maybe noone will tell me different:blush ) I have every hook that I can get my hands on with the exception of the glass ones I ahve seen posted. I love the Crystalites and the Boye, but my faves are the Turn of the Century wooden hooks. I finally figured out it's because they are longer than other hooks. All the other hooks hit me in the bottom part of the palm of my hand(can't describe it any better) and fatigue my hand. I was sticking to only doing projects that I could use my larger hooks for because that makes a difference too. But I have also found that the hook cushions(I got mine at Michaels) make a huge diference too. I use all different hooks depending on the yarn, but the cushion has made a real difference. Hope that helps!

... but my faves are the Turn of the Century wooden hooks. I finally figured out it's because they are longer than other hooks. All the other hooks hit me in the bottom part of the palm of my hand(can't describe it any better) and fatigue my hand...

I have this same problem with shorter hooks... which is why I always use my TOTCs. People who hold their hooks in the "pencil grip" don't have these issues, however, and for them the length may not be such a benefit.

There are ergonomically correct hooks out there, wooden and otherwise, if that's what you're interested in.

People who hold their hooks in the "pencil grip" don't have these issues, however, and for them the length may not be such a benefit.

I actually do hold my hooks in the pencil grip and I do find the shorter hooks to be a bit of a pain. If the hook is too short it feels like I don't have a good grip on it and don't have as much control. Like it is going to slip into the hole between my index finger and thumb. Also I feel like I need to use my wrist more instead of my fingers for the stitches, which causes my tendonitis to flair in that hand.

Just my :2c

Archived