Advice needed please!

Hello All!

I have a pug puppy who is usually a good girl but seems to think she is a cat. I cannot crochet around her at all because she is constantly trying to steal my yarn and run off with it! I thought about putting it in a bag or container to keep it safe from her while I am working, but she also will jump up and attack what I have in my hands/lap! She is usually good with commands, but something about yarn just makes her insane I guess! I have tried to distract her with her toys to no avail. I have tried to put her in the next room with the gate up but she just yelps and whines at me. I am really getting upset about this because I love her, but I also love crocheting and she is making it impossible for me to do so! :( Any suggestions would be SO appreciated! Thank you!

Julia

A small squirt gun with water. Each time she jumps on your yarn nudge her back from the yarn and squirt her. if she does it again, put her in the next room and when she whines squirt her. she will stop. what she is after is your attention and so you must not give it to her. 1 squirt and then ignore her until she behaves. Good Luck.

Hello All!

I have a pug puppy who is usually a good girl but seems to think she is a cat. I cannot crochet around her at all because she is constantly trying to steal my yarn and run off with it! I thought about putting it in a bag or container to keep it safe from her while I am working, but she also will jump up and attack what I have in my hands/lap! She is usually good with commands, but something about yarn just makes her insane I guess! I have tried to distract her with her toys to no avail. I have tried to put her in the next room with the gate up but she just yelps and whines at me. I am really getting upset about this because I love her, but I also love crocheting and she is making it impossible for me to do so! :( Any suggestions would be SO appreciated! Thank you!

Julia

Hi,

darling pups huh, i used the squirt bottle method with cats, but didn't know it would work on a dog! My dog is so well behaved, people think she has undergone extensive training, ha, not true, truth is, she was just always good, not a digger, a jumper, or a chewer even as a small round package of blondness! Well good luck, i hope you work something out, seems to me though, you have to distinguish in HER little puppie brain, that Yarn time is not Play time, maybe spend some more time playing with her and her toys, coupled with the water bottle method?? Keep us informed on any progress you make!

Thank you both! I will try the squirt bottle method with your other tips and see if it works.....I HOPE! :)

Hello All!

Julia

When all else fails - spankins

I have a nosy puppy too, and I ditto the water spray. Also, I bought a yarn organizer from Harriet Carter online. It can be kept up and out of reach, and has a lid. It's not especially attractive, but it is functional. Good luck!

So far spraying water seems to be working.....I haven't had much time over the weekend for crocheting :( but it worked when I tried it. Thank you all again so much for your advice! :)

Archived