help on v-kss or v knit single stitch

wpcook

Question

I bought the book savvy single crochet and can not figure out what to do when the pattern says, sc in rear loop and both loops of 2nd sc and then across. Does this sound familiar and can anyone help a little more with exactly what to do to get the v stitch.

9 answers to this question

Two things came to me when reading this:

1. Sc back loop only, then sc into each of the loops of the next sc separately.

2. Sc back loop only, then sc through both loops (regular sc) into the next sc.

What does the next row say?

Row 1 is Ch 20, sc in the rear lp of each ch across, turn.

Row 2 is Ch 1, sc in rear lp and both lps of 2nd sc and in each sc across, sc in end lp, turn.

Rep row 2 for entire pattern

Two things came to me when reading this:

1. Sc back loop only, then sc into each of the loops of the next sc separately.

2. Sc back loop only, then sc through both loops (regular sc) into the next sc.

What does the next row say?

Karen Whooley , the author, is a member here, username "JoviMom"---you might want to PM her and ask her about it/ask her to post in this thread. She taught a class here on these stitches and in a thread about it she mentioned that AA edited out a lot of important info from the book. http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=91846

I did take the class but I haven't done much with it and I can't help with the stitch, sorry!

Row 2 is Ch 1, sc in rear lp and both lps of 2nd sc and in each sc across, sc in end lp, turn.

It's telling you that starting with the second sc, you are basically working two sc into each sc across (increases), except that the first of the two will be worked in the back loop and the second of the two through both loops. Being that they are increases your work will arch. I can imagine the different texture that you might end up with, depending on how subsequent rows are to be worked.

It's telling you that starting with the second sc, you are basically working two sc into each sc across (increases), except that the first of the two will be worked in the back loop and the second of the two through both loops. quote]

I wouldn't think it would mean increases though as it says repeat that row on and the picture shows a flat square.

It's telling you that starting with the second sc, you are basically working two sc into each sc across (increases), except that the first of the two will be worked in the back loop and the second of the two through both loops. quote]

I wouldn't think it would mean increases though as it says repeat that row on and the picture shows a flat square.

I stand corrected. Thank you Sarisue. :) I didn't realize that a photo showed a flat square and missed the part about continuing row 2 for the entire pattern (movin' too fast).

When it says for row 2:

"Row 2 is Ch 1, sc in rear lp and both lps of 2nd sc and in each sc across, sc in end lp, turn."

...I'm thinking that there should be a comma (small but meaningful) after the "sc in rear lp(,)" so that you work in the rear lp in the first sc only, and then in both loops of the 2nd and in each sc across...

:think ok just me... but it seems if the first row is rear loop, the last row should be too.

same idea if row 2 the first sc is in rear loop, and i read it that the rest in the row are in both loops, seems the last stitch should be rear loop again. So all the stitches around the outside edges would be rear loop.... :think

I Private Messaged the author as suggested above, and she said to put the hook through ALL 3 loops at once, the rear loop and the two on top, and then single crochet through them. I hope this clears everything up for anyone else who was confused!

I've been doing it with putting the hook through the 3 loops, yarn over, pull through them, yarn over, pull through the loop that was already on the hook. It looks pretty much like the picture like that, and seems to be what is done for the knit single stitch, that is put the hook through the rear loop, yarn over, pull through, yarn over, pull through the original loop on the hook. The main difference is the V is created when you add the 2 top loops in addition to the rear loop.

Hopefully this helps!

Archived