Making a Buttonhole ???

tennis et

I have crocheted the hobo bag. I have crocheted a flap to one side of the hobo bag opening. My plan is to flip the flap over the hobo bag opening and then secure it on the other side with button or a large bead. My question is this -- how do you make a buttonhole in a felted object? Do you do something before you felt or is this something one does after felting but before drying? Thanks.

What I do and it works out fine, is after the item is fulled and dry, use a knitting needle (I knew it would come in handy someday) to make the button hole. It won't fray because it's fulled. If you wanted, you could almost embroider around the edges, but you don't have to.

:think Make sure you do the buttonhole up and down not across your tab, it will sit nicer.

You could cut a slit and work by hand in Buttonhole Stitch around it as a feature.:cheer

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Before felting:

If you put acryilic yarn the size you want the hole to be, it will not felt, and you will have a hole. I crochet a length that is the diameter of the hole I want to leave and tie it in place.

Deb

• 2 weeks later...

I created the 4 holes for my straps to go through BEFORE I felted my handbag. I worked my bag with single crochet in the round and once I reached where I wanted holes to be (say 4 ch spaces) I did ch 4, then kept going in single crochet. Once I reached that point again on my next round, I just kept on with my single crochet in those 4 spaces.

I was lucky in that this was my first time felting and the pre-made buttonholes worked out right, but I can see where making them after is a good idea as shrinkage can be unpredictable.

Bec

I

I was lucky in that this was my first time felting and the pre-made buttonholes worked out right, but I can see where making them after is a good idea as shrinkage can be unpredictable.

Bec

Bec,

I agree, I used the acrylic yarn on my last bag and some of the felting was not quite even, so the holes are not quite where they should be. So there are advatages to both making them before and after. The bag is here

http://dudleyspinner.blogspot.com/

Deb

Archived