wanted: A career in crochet

I am desperatly seeking a new career preferbally in crochet.I am sick and tired of being over worked and under paid. Where can I find my dream job? I don't have time to build my store like I want it but I am working on it.I will never give up on my search for my dream job! lol

What about designing patterns? You can design something, and then sell it to a magazine. That's what I'm working on now. That is my dream job.

:manyheart

My Dream job also. I already design and sell my patterns but I have one right now that I'm going to submit to a magazine. Just not sure which one........

Julee

Go to any craft store, see what crochet magazines most represent your style of work. Take note of the name of the magazine and the name of the publisher. Do a search online to look up their websites. You have to do a little searching on their sites to find submission information. It's usually called submissions, but if you can't find a link then just email them and they'll email you the information that you need. Most magazines have a submission calender and information on submitting. It's very important to follow their guidelines and rules. They want certain items for each season submitted at certain times of the year. Also, each magazine has a certain style on how the instructions are written out. That is where it's important to be familiar with the magazine. Buy one and go through it studying everything. It really helps to research. I never submitted a pattern to anyone, but decided to submit to Leisure Arts Publishing. They publish loads of craft pattern books/leaflets. I submitted enough to hopefully get accepted for one leaflet, but got accepted for two!! I was so overwhelmed, because I really didn't know what I was doing. They just pushed for me to study the CORRECT way of writing out patterns, the CORRECT abbreviations for crochet terms, and the order on how to do the whole process. They were very patient with me, but not everyone is. Good luck and do your homework.

Be careful what you wish for though. I have thought about making things to sell, but I think that crocheting would cease to be fun for me. Instead it would be work, and I wouldn't do it in my free time like I do now. Maybe that's not how it works for everyone, but it's something to consider.

However, if you know that won't happen, then go for it!! :-)

Archived