Ruffled doilies

crochetrae

I guess I just really need to hear how the rest of you guys "do" your ruffles. I've been to all the websites that talk about starching, stiffening, etc. I have all the vintage books with the sugar recipes in them. I still haven't found anything that works for me. I don't want rock hard that'll break when it falls off the table. I don't want really soft that lays flat. I just want the ruffle to hold it's shape. Is that too much to ask?:rant

I made a large ruffled doily a couple of years ago and used glue/water to stiffen. I figured Elmer's school glue that "washes out" would wash out. So how come when you mix it with water it becomes permanent???? I've rewashed it several times and it's now hard in some spots, not so hard in others. I read something about microwaving it to get the stiffener out at http://crochet.tangleweeds.com/stiffeners.html But then, she's doing snowflakes and I'm doing a 22" doily!:eek

The reason I'm concerned now is that I have an order for a ruffled doily, and although I haven't finished crocheting the ruffle yet, (9 more rows of ch7, sc in the next loop about a billion times around) I'm already having hot flashes about starching the ruffle. I thought I'd experiment on the "frisbee" doily first before I ruin the "paid for" one.

Any insight or relayed experiences on this debacle would certainly be appreciated!:manyheart

Susan Rae

Guest Crafterlady46

I use linet. I don't think linet was around in the vintage years. Works pretty good and it's easy to use. I think I used the 3 parts water to 1 part linet. I make it up in a spray bottle. It's easier then dipping. I used it on the rose ruffle doily in my album. I tried the sugar thing....it was awful. I live in a very humid area in the summer and you can just guess what that does to sugar. :) Hope this helps.

Elmers glue is almost like super glue once it sets. If your doily is white try boiling it on the stove at a medium heat. It's worth a try.

Gee, sure wish I'd known about Elmer's before. I'll try boiling it. I've never heard of Linet. What is it and where do you get it? A google searched turned up a bunch of foreign languages and hospital equipment.

Thanks,

Susan

Guest Crafterlady46

ooops I spelled it wrong it's Linit. I have only used it a couple of times so I would not have remembed.

linit.jpg

I don't know if boiling it would have helped....I boil stains out sometimes. Works for me.

Thanks for the tip on the boiling. I boiled it for about 3 minutes. For the most part, the Elmer's boiled out. The picots on the edges remained hard and crusty, but the center of the doily is nice and soft again. I used the liquid starch and sprayed the ruffle. I had to iron it, which I hate to do cuz it flattens the stitches, but that's what the vintage patterns all say to do. Anyway, the ruffle is not pretty, kinda wonky. Just can't get it right. If I were a lot more electronically intelligent, I could take a picture to post, but.......

Thanks for the help!

Susan

I I don't want rock hard that'll break when it falls off the table.

:haha :haha :haha

I had an old grandma doily once that had some huge ruffles.. very pretty, but the cat knocked if off the table one day and the bang was so loud, it woke up the baby!

Ahhh memories!

Archived