ch 1,work 3 sc in same corner?

babyv

Question

I've begun the "63 Easy-to-Crochet Pattern Stitches" afghan by Leisure Arts. I am having trouble understanding the finishing edge for each 7" x 7" square which states, "Rnd 1: With right side facing, ch 1, work 3 sc in same corner, *work 25 sc spaced across to next corner, work 3 sc in corner; repeat from *.

Two out of the 4 sides of the square already have 25 sc stiches going across. How do I work 3 sc into a corner and then work 25 sc stiches across. Wouldn't I only have 22 stiches left? I've consulted all of my reference books, but I just can't figure out what to do in the corners with these 3 sc.

Thank you!

5 answers to this question

Basically, you have to make 3 sc all into the one sc in the corner of your previous row, and then make the rest of the sc one into each sc/st of the row below. If you find you don't have 25 sc (not counting the 2 corner sc) in the previous row, then you could work the extra sc right in the middle of the row by making 2 sc in one st.

Hope that makes sense. :hook

You should check out this thread...

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=534

Everything you ever wnted to know about those 63 squares can be found or asked here.:) I KNOW somewhere in there they discuss the edgings and how to space your stitches. (Starting on post 121)

Wow. Great link to the 63 place on the forum. I didn't know that was there. However, there are over 1300 posts. One would need a lot of patience to go through all of those, though you certainly could use a search tool.

I would not think you'd count the 3 sc in corner with the 25 sc for the sides. If you have more than 25 sts, just skip a row. I often find that making the "proper" number of stitches along the side of a ghan will cause it to bunch up, so, for example in a dc afghan, I might work 2 sts in one row, 1 in the next, or I might go 2 stitches in two or three rows and then 1 in the next.

However, for squares that you are going to be putting all together, it's probably best to keep the number of stitches the same to make it easier on yourself. I can't remember now if they all have 25 sc along side, but if they do, then I would try to keep to that. The 3 sc is the common way to make corners in a project.

On these squares they're all meant to have the same amount of stitches when you've finished them. You'll 2sc into a corner, then do 25 sc's across and 3 sc into the next corner and so on. Your final count on that round of edging will be 112.

The 63 Squares CAL is a huge topic here at Crochetville. And it would take mega patience to read it all, you're right. I can't remember the last time I checked in there (which is horrible because I'm supposed to be participating!:blush ) so I'm a little daunted by the idea of catching up, lol.

But the start of one of the edging discussions is on post 121. People have given tips on how they fit those 25sc into the horizontal sides of the squares. Because very few if any have 25 rows in them you're always going to be trying to figure out how to evenly distribute the stitches. Once you get into it though you'll be able to judge how many you need and where they should go.

When you are doing an edging on a square of crochet, you need to do the 3sc into each corner so the corner will sit flat. They are not included in the 25 you do along the edge, as that is a separate instruction. Sometimes you need to do more or less stitches along an edge to keep it flat so as long as you do the same on all your sides and on all your squares, you will be OK.

If you put too many SCs you will get a frilly edge, not enough, a curled up square.:cheer

Practice makes perfect, well almost perfect, so you will soon recognise what you need to do without even reading the pattern.:cheer

Because we all crochet different, you need to be prepared to alter things a wee bit. Not usually the main parts of the pattern, just the finishing bits.:cheer

Have fun.

Colleen

Archived