hip to hook pattern

I don't have this BUT Lydias has the same wiggly crochet in a free flyer I picked up at a local store. I have made several of these as hotpads for gifts and they are really attractive.

its the squiggle one im interested in. i want to make a single bed sized throw for when my daughter gets into a bed instead of her cot. that should give me ages yet to complete it :lol.

the thing that bothers me is that it will be quite holey on the back so not sure if it would work.

im still working on the mesh background at the moment :)

its the squiggle one im interested in. i want to make a single bed sized throw for when my daughter gets into a bed instead of her cot. that should give me ages yet to complete it :lol.

the thing that bothers me is that it will be quite holey on the back so not sure if it would work.

im still working on the mesh background at the moment :)

Would it be possible to add some sort of quilt back to the throw maybe using pieces of yarn to tie the back to the grid. Just an idea.

I like doing this but it does take awhile. Lots of fun. There were potholder and coaster patterns (Watermelon and autumn leaves in Crochet World magazine earlier this year and in the Feb 10 edition a pattern for a rug.

:) ive been a quilter longer than ive been a crocheter. i will do the cusion sized sample and see how i feel about it. but i dont see any reason why it couldnt be backed with fabric and tied at various points to hold it all together.

i have noticed that in the CAL there were 2 distinct rows to the pattern but the one i just bought doesnt fillin that 2nd pattern row and leaves it bare....i can feel 2 samples coming on lol

and just realised im mad for wanting to do a throw to cover a single bed. i somehow doubt ellen will appreciate all the effort...........maybe i should make it for me :)

going to be in acrylic although im considering cotton.......esp as the link below has large cones of it .......am i mad to consider cotton? im thinking bulk buy you see.....

http://www.texere-yarns.co.uk/texereshop/153_Double_Top_Cotton.html

and just realised im mad for wanting to do a throw to cover a single bed. i somehow doubt ellen will appreciate all the effort...........maybe i should make it for me :)

going to be in acrylic although im considering cotton.......esp as the link below has large cones of it .......am i mad to consider cotton? im thinking bulk buy you see.....

http://www.texere-yarns.co.uk/texereshop/153_Double_Top_Cotton.html

I can only say: Heavy !!

I made one with cotton thread for a double bed. Don't try that !! It's beautiful, but oh so heavy and difficult to wash.

Maybe a thick cotton yarn would be better, but for thinner yarn I'd definitely use acrylic.

/Tina from Sweden

Ah yes, the squiggly wiggly CAL! Fun! :)

Ok as far as the pattern I think I know what you mean. in the one in the CAL there are 2 corner methods, sort of an outer and inner one that alternate, and no bar of the mesh is left unworked.

So, you are saying that in the Hip to Hook pattern, a round of mesh is left unworked...am I understanding correctly? Actually i guess I can see that in the photo there. Well, I think that would probably be better for a throw because it will be lighter and probably easier to wash/dry. Leaving out a row will make it go faster, and you won't have to worry about doing the wrong corner pattern, which I can tell you I did several times:lol

I think DK acrylic would be a good choice probably. It might be a little limp so that the ruffles might not stand up as well as cotton (but I'm not recommending cotton for a throw due to weight and difficulty of drying).

You'll have to swatch it and see what you think. A pillow cover is a good smaller project to test it out. i don't think it will be too holey for a throw, but you'll have to see what results you get.

The wiggly idea for a throw must be workable; there is this pattern for a baby blanket http://www.stitch1knit1.com/acatalog/sirdar_babies_-_supersoft_aran_1611_books_patterns.html

yeah you got it :)

have already been at it with gridded paper and pens drawing out different designs, got quite a few so far. my mum came round so i got her talking about it and she said i should just do one of those things that goes across the foot of the bed and just covers your feet. never thought of that and that way i get something nice on a bed but is still the wiggly pattern i liked.

the sample im doing is 19 sq by 19 sq and just uses the outer corner rows like in the hip to hook pattern.

the pattern ive decided to make larger is based on the 1st round which is the same as the potholder in the CAL. im going to have it in rows, that way i can use smaller bits of wool and do a scrap effect. this is cos i cant buy lots of colours/ yarn at once so i dont want larger lines to crochet and run out of yarn. ivve been drawing a scale version on graph paper and just need to work my sample piece to see how its going to go.

if i get it done will post a pic :)

ty

Archived