Acrylic question

swapnae

Can somebody tell me how acrylic compares with other yarns for warmth? We only get acrylic here, so if i make a sweater (which I have, actually), would it be hotter (not warmer, you understand :D) than wool?

It depends. My understanding is that when the two are wet, wool retains 30% of it's warmth-retaining ability. However, acrylic does not breathe as well since it is a synthetic fiber. Basically it's plastic. Granted, cotton breathes better than wool.

At any rate, there are plenty of very warm acrylic yarns such Homespun varieties most often found by Lion Brand. Homespun is actually 2% polyester, but most acrylic and probably found in your Local Yarn Shop. Yarns of a similar sort are made by many many companies. My favourite yarns are all from Red Heart and they have a selection of yarns that have the soft, plush feel of the Homespun kind and I would assume the same warmth.

And if you're making things for charity, they prefer them made out of acrylic because the item is then washable. So think about what you're making and for whom when you're deciding on what type of yarn to use. I love cotton, but can't used it for the baby blankets my mom and I make for Project Linus.

Patty

I think you're asking about the heat/comfort factor, right, since you're in India?

I think that, in general, that acrylics of the same weight as any particular weight of wool will be less comfortable and breathable. The lighter weight wools, would, IMHO, be better.

I think you're asking about the heat/comfort factor, right, since you're in India?

I think that, in general, that acrylics of the same weight as any particular weight of wool will be less comfortable and breathable. The lighter weight wools, would, IMHO, be better.

So not only would acrylic not be warm enough for the rare occasions warmth is required, but it would also be hotter when it's not? :( And we don't get wool here....I see myself making only thread, thread and more thread stuff....

I've heard that wool is better at regulating heat. I've made two acrylic sweaters, and I really regret having made them out of acrylic. One of them I plan on remaking with some nice alpaca I bought from Elann. Too bad you can't get any nice cotton yarn.

Archived