Clover hooks

Does anyone know if Clover makes the comfort grip for steel hooks?

I crochet tight and I'm afraid (when I start) thread crocheting will make my hands hurt.

(I'm a little sore from the 3 squares and 3 rows of Baby afghan of yarn crochet I did this weekend!)

Thanks in advance!

Thanks Lori -- I'll order from her!!

Now I have another question......what would be a good multi purpose size hook to start with?

I just received (haven't posted pics yet-except on my blog) a bunch of thread from Jaclim and wanted to start fiddling around with it. It's size 10 thread. does that mean I need a size 10 hook, or is it 7? I keep seeing 7 on a bunch of patterns--BUT if I crochet tight, will a 7 be too small?!?! UGH ~ what a dilemma! I don't know!! I really think I should go straight to bed when I get home tonight. Long day already.......

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be a pain in the butt -- I've just never done thread crochet. I'm excited and nervous about all at the same time!!

I order some last week, I can Hardly wait to try them out. :hook Thank you Lori for the Link. :hook

A 1.65mm or 7 is about average for size ten thread. if you crochet real tight like I do try going to a 1.9mm or size 5. I almost alway have to go up two hook sizes to make something the size it's supposed to be, or work in guage as they say.

thanks Kathy!! :hug

I'll give it a whirl.

I think I have a size 7 (SB on clearance at Joann's for $1!!) hook at home that I'll :monkey around with a bit before I commit to a Clover hook size. :hook

Oh I know!! I'm still trying to figure out my yarn hooks too! That's why I bought TOTC hooks, but now I'm finding that either they are bigger than my plastic hooks or I crochet way looser with them (or a little of both), so I keep having to check my gauge and pay attention to my results and tension and all that. With most afghans I'm okay. I just go up a size or two, but with the 6" square swap for example, I've had to frog most of my stuff over and over again. I ended up using an I hook for a pattern that called out a G on one - and on another I used an F hook for a G pattern?!?!? So, I realize that EVERYONE crochets with different tension...now I just expect to have to frog at least my first attempt (and then I don't get as frustrated.....LOL) and just go from there.

I meant I'll just mess around with the SB hook I have to figure out what Clover hook to get. BUT all that being said, maybe I should just get a size 7 Clover and I'll crochet looser with it than my SB and my gauge will work.....know what I mean?

I found some spongy foam hook grips for my hooks - I think one was SB and one was another brand (not sure). They are about 4-5" long and bright blue...they look kinda like one of those foam pencil grips except the hole is very small. I cut mine into two grips, apply a little liquid soap to the blunt end of the crochet hook and they slip right on! One brand I got had a slightly larger hole, and it even works on yarn hooks for me, up to a sizeI-J. the other brand is great for steel hooks. If I need to change needle sizes, they slip off with a little coaxing and onto a different size. I love doing thread crochet, but I cannot hold on to those tiny hooks for very long before my hand is screaming stop:eek! They were relatively inexpensive too, probably around $2, and that gets you two grips! It has really saved me alot of pain and let me enjoy thread crochet again!

Laurie

I tried using this foam thingy and threw it out and the hook it was stuck to! :haha I hated the way it felt which is what prompted me to go in search of an alternative and that's how I found the Clover hooks. I've never looked back since!

~ Lori

I found some spongy foam hook grips for my hooks - I think one was SB and one was another brand (not sure). They are about 4-5" long and bright blue...they look kinda like one of those foam pencil grips except the hole is very small. I cut mine into two grips, apply a little liquid soap to the blunt end of the crochet hook and they slip right on! One brand I got had a slightly larger hole, and it even works on yarn hooks for me, up to a sizeI-J. the other brand is great for steel hooks. If I need to change needle sizes, they slip off with a little coaxing and onto a different size. I love doing thread crochet, but I cannot hold on to those tiny hooks for very long before my hand is screaming stop:eek! They were relatively inexpensive too, probably around $2, and that gets you two grips! It has really saved me alot of pain and let me enjoy thread crochet again!

Laurie

Archived