Help....Uneven edges

I am not sure how to fix this, but every time I start a project my edges become uneven.

Is there something I can do to fix this? What is the cause of me doing this?

I thought maybe I wasn't doing the turning chain correctly.

I hope someone can give me some words of wisdom on this. :hook

I'm going to take that to mean it's getting narrower as you go.

What you need to do is count the stitches in the first row and in the last row that you just did. Is it the same number? Probably not.

If not - your dropping a stitch probably when you turn your work.

If yes - your tension may be changing as you go.

I'm going to take that to mean it's getting narrower as you go.

What you need to do is count the stitches in the first row and in the last row that you just did. Is it the same number? Probably not.

If not - your dropping a stitch probably when you turn your work.

If yes - your tension may be changing as you go.

yeah, they most defiantly do not have the name amount of stitches. The turning chain counts as one stitch correct?

Thank you for the help :)

The turning chain counts as one stitch correct?

That depends on the pattern. If it's sc - then it's up to the designer. If it's dc it most likely counts as the first.

This is one of the most common problems when learning to crochet. Without knowing what stitches you're using it's hard to give you any further advice.

That depends on the pattern. If it's sc - then it's up to the designer. If it's dc it most likely counts as the first.

This is one of the most common problems when learning to crochet. Without knowing what stitches you're using it's hard to give you any further advice.

I mostly stick to sc's and dc's since those are the only ones I really know. When I do rows of dc's my rows become very narrow until I can't do anymore rows.

I would like to suggest that you google "The Art of Crochet by Teresa" she has all kinds of video's that will help you a lot and you'll be knocking out scarfs one after the other :) :)

Good Luck and hang in there you can do it you just have to make sure you count your stitches after each row.

My mother has this same problem. I automatically count as I crochet - just a habit I guess or at least count every other row. She wants to help me make scarves for a project I support. The rows get shorter and shorter then she tries some goofy silly thing to try and straighten the ends. It looks horrible! So when she goes to bed I rip it out and fix it and she is none the wiser. She thinks it is ridiculous that you have to count every row and gets upset when I don't like the way she "fixes" the problem. One of these days the light bulb will go off that if she counts, she won't have to rip out or "fix" the ends!! LOL!! But hey she can crochet now and she never has done that before!!

• 4 months later...

Archived