Dyeing finished doll garment

lhendrix35

The stores in my area don't have much color selection in # 10 thread. I would like to dye the finished doll dress, but I don't want to buy a box for a small item. I have used tempra paint, which will, of course wash, out. Does anyone have any ideas on small containers of dye. Food coloring is too weak. How about fabric paint diluted and used as dye? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I would suggest looking for Dylon brand or Rit brand dyes. both work with cotton. The Rit you very often have to "cook" or use over a stove. Dylon works much more like tie dye... Powder, add water, stir. dye.

It comes in little plastic-y pouches. I find it near the fabric at Hobby Lobby, but most craft or fabric stores should carry it. Buy the color you want, and you're good to go. If you want lighter color, use less dye. The stuff is about $2/pouch, and has quite a lot in it. When I've dyed hanks of thread, I use a teaspoon or so for about 1-2 cups of water. That's plenty dark. Then I can tape it closed and save it for another time.

HTH

ETA: may I suggest you have some scraps of the original thread to test your color on? For something as small as a doll's dress, I would be working "in" an ice-cream pail, and sprinkle in a small amount, test the color (just dip and pull out, let it set for a bit...fairly accurate.) add powder until your test thread is a smidge darker than what you want your final result to be.

:)

I would recommend using Dylon brand fabric dyes myself. I find it near the fabric at Hobby Lobby, but most craft/fabric stores should have it. Walmart does sometimes. It works like the tie dye stuff; no heating over stove. just add water, stir, and dye. I find with when I've used it for small projects, just a teaspoon of the dye to about 1-2 cups of water is plenty. But it does depend on the color/depth of color you are going for. It's about $2/each color. they come in a plastic-y pouch, usually black with a bright tulip or something on it, in the color inside.

Have fun with your thread dress! I can't wait to see the results!

oh ya! may I suggest you have some scraps of the original thread to test your color on? For something as small as a doll's dress, I would be working "in" an ice-cream pail, and sprinkle in a small amount, test the color (just dip and pull out, let it set for a bit...fairly accurate.) add powder until your test thread is a smidge darker than what you want your final result to be.

Archived