Help Using "Crochet World" online please

LondonLaura

Thread title is wrong, it's not Crochet World, it's Crochet!...sorry I have the online subscription to "Crochet!" and I know I'm not making the most of it, which is partly because I just don't understand how to use the special online features.

Especially, how do I make a pdf file? :think If I like a pattern and want to save it, this is what I would do right? Or is there a better way? I have tried right-clicking on the pattern and on the top line address, but I don't get an option to pdf it.

Those of you with more computer savvy, please help me!

And any other tips you have for using this online mag would be appreciated too, so throw it all at me. :yay

Thank you!

(Mods please change title if possible, thank you)

I have the digital subscription too. First you must log in, then if you want to download the current issue or any of the other issue that comes with the subscription (I think it is 2 years worth), click on Issue Archives. Now just select the issue to download. It is already in pdf. You will need Adobe Reader (free application). Now as for the patterns available with the subscription, click on Web Bonuses. That will take you to the extra patterns. They are all in pdf too. That is about all there is to the subscription.

Oh, I have always flipped through the magazine with the "flip-zine" option or whatever they call it.

I tried what you said and I see I can save the entire magazine as a pdf, I didn't know that. Thank you!

As I'm looking through it, and want to save individual patterns, is that possible? I don't really want to trawl all through several entire issues to find the one pattern I wanted - if you see what I mean.

Thank you for your help!

From my understanding of their copyright page, no, you cannot make individual pdf of the pages. When I want to use a pattern, I just open it up and select the page I need. Since I crochet at my desk a lot, it isn't a problem. In fact, I like it since I can enlarge the page. What you can do, is email them and ask if you can print the page for personal use; for instance , to take with you to work on a pattern when not at home. Always better to get clarification form the source. I like the digital form but I am thinking of getting a hard copy subscription next time; sometimes I like something tangible, that I can hold in my hand and take with me. (to work, lol)

Thanks for your answers and at least now I can save the entire magazine after following your advice :hug

I will contact them about saving individual patterns.

I'm 99% sure you CAN print pages. I think there is a print feature within the online mag that lets you choose which pages you want to print. When I re-educate myself about it, I'll let you know!

If you can save individual patterns, in order to save as a pdf you have to have adobe acrobat on some other publishing program installed on your computer. Then you just do a save as and in the drop down you can find pdf.

I've stopped worrying about saving individual patterns. Now I'm just going to print anything I'm interested in so that I have a permanent copy. BECAUSE I've just found out that when your subscription expires, you lose access to the digital pages completely, even the issues that you had paid for. This doesn't seem right to me, but I suppose it was too complicated for them to work a way for you to only access those issues and not new ones.

This is really disappointing. Like lots of crafters, I enjoy flipping through patterns I've had for ages and "rediscovering" them, or looking at things that were too difficult for me to tackle previously.

When you click on save, it allows you to "Save" by page numbers. .

Um, how exactly do I click on "save" please? Sorry to be so dumb.

Does this save it to your computer forever, or does it still rely on subscription access?

Once you download your issue, you save it to your computer; it should not "disappear" when the digital subscription expires. Your access to the online issues will terminate. So be sure to save all your issues. The easiest way to save your issues is to click on the archive link; it will take you to all the issues your subscription includes. You then download each one and save it to your computer. I almost never view my issues from their "flip through current issue" link.

Once you download your issue, you save it to your computer; it should not "disappear" when the digital subscription expires. Your access to the online issues will terminate.

Ah ha! I think I've just had a lightbulb moment and realised the difference between something that is "on my computer" and something that is "online".

So if I've downloaded it, it's on MY computer and will stay there forever.

If I'm viewing from the Crochet! website, it's online, and I will lose access when my subscription expires.

Is that right?

You must've felt like banging your head against the wall by now! Thank you so very much for your patient explanations. :hug

I am going to spend some time saving all those issues!

Ah ha! I think I've just had a lightbulb moment and realised the difference between something that is "on my computer" and something that is "online".

So if I've downloaded it, it's on MY computer and will stay there forever.

If I'm viewing from the Crochet! website, it's online, and I will lose access when my subscription expires.

Is that right?

You must've felt like banging your head against the wall by now! Thank you so very much for your patient explanations. :hug

I am going to spend some time saving all those issues!

Yep, you've got it right. :yes I was looking at my downloads and I think you could print out separate pages (once you save to your computer); the feature is available. Although, clarification from DRG would be best.

• 2 weeks later...

I've downloaded all of mine & saved them to a file on my external hard drive...I like to flip through them, & if my internet goes down (which it occasionally does, where I live ) I can still look at the patterns..& browse..I like the digital form ,cause there isn't enough room for my magazines, due to the number of Hubbys' gun magazines.

Archived