How much shrinkage is normal?

rascalsmom

I made the Norwegian House Slippers, and have washed and dried them several times...they are still HUGE!! I think they shrunk a little, but nowhere near enough....I used Paton's Classic Wool (NOT superwash), hot water, and high heat in the dryer....

What's wrong??

Hmmm...not sure what to tell you. I use the Paton's wool for most of my felting and it always felts for me.

When I felt, I use hot water and set my machine on for the longest wash cycle. I never add soap or jeans like some people do. I then check them several times and if they aren't felted enough, I set the time back. I never let them go through a whole wash cycle (spin, rinse, spin). I also never put my items in the dryer. Is your washer a top loader?

What color is the yarn....I have heard that some "whites" don't felt, even though I have felted both of the aran and off white colors of the Paton's wool with success.

Sorry I'm not much help. Maybe someone else will have a better answer.

My washer is a top loader. The slippers are made with three different colors: dark brown, "natural", and winter white.

The texture seems to be getting more "felted", but I would've thought they should have shrunken up more. The instructions said to make them large, since they would shrink considerably.

All I want is some warm slippers!!

In addition to hot water, friction aids felting--some old towels might help. I've hand felted smaller items, and placing the item it very hot water (as hot as your hands can stand), rubbing vigorously, then dunking in *cold* water--back and forth, back and forth--also works. You can fell the wool shrinking and getting more solid in your hands. Is the hot water in your machine really hot? If not, heat some water on the stove and add that.

Good luck!

I agree with what Karen said as to it needing friction. She's right about adding other items with it in the machine. As well, if you add washing soda, it also aids in the process. You find it in the supermarket where fabric detergents are located.

In addition to hot water, friction aids felting--some old towels might help. I've hand felted smaller items, and placing the item it very hot water (as hot as your hands can stand), rubbing vigorously, then dunking in *cold* water--back and forth, back and forth--also works. You can fell the wool shrinking and getting more solid in your hands. Is the hot water in your machine really hot? If not, heat some water on the stove and add that.

Good luck!

Actually, the hot water in my machine is NOT that hot....it mixes with warm, and isn't exclusively HOT water. I did fill the washer with HOT tap water from the sink, and it seems to have helped! While the slippers are still a bit big, they are at least wearable now.

Thanks, Karen! :hook

Archived