Mittens!

CLLinda

I started to make a mitten last night. I found the easy pattern in "Vintage Knits for Modern Babies" by Hadley Fierlinger. I did the ribbing last night and then started the main part of the mitten this morning. When I get them done, I'll post a picture. But I can't believe I'm actually making a mitten.

I used to see patterns for crocheted ones but I never made them. Now, I'm pretty new to knitting and I'm trying a mitten.

:manyheart

Please let me know how you like the pattern and if it would be suitable for a newbie. I have always wanted to make a knitted pair of mittens. Good luck...hope it goes well for you!!

I just did the cast on for my first pair of mittens last night as well!! I got the pattern from Ravelry. It's a fingerless mitt but I'm going to try to adjust the pattern to make a full mitten. If not, that's ok, they'll just be fingerless. I had started to crochet a pair because DPNs were scaring me (again :rolleyes) but I didn't like the way it was coming out crocheted so I frogged it, took a deep breath, and got out the dpns. I finished the ribbing of the first mitten last night. It was a little tricky getting started but now it's going smoothly. :knit

Yay for us! :cheer:clap

I have never made a pair of mittens, though no doubt I should with 5 grandchildren living where it snows much of the winter. If I ever make them I will use this clever idea from TechKnitter.

By the way, TECHknitting is absolutely the most amazing knitting blog I have ever seen. It's all about refining knitting techniques from everyday on to perfection. She is truly a master knitter and has been kind enough to share many years of knitting knowledge with the public. One of these days I'm going to put new ink into my printer and start printing her lessons off for my own book. She's that good.

Archived