what is this yarn called??

what is the type of yarn or string called that is used in making doilies, snowflakes, bookmarks or runners? I am a beginner crocheter and am thinking of making some Christmas gifts (doilies and bookmarks) for family but i want make sure i even know what im looking for when i go buy it?

Thanks!!!:)

Usually these items are made with crochet thread, and many of them call for size 10 thread. There are a lot of patterns for beginners, but read them carefully to make sure you can understand them, and be patient.....it will pay off in the end! good luck!

what is the type of yarn or string called that is used in making doilies, snowflakes, bookmarks or runners? I am a beginner crocheter and am thinking of making some Christmas gifts (doilies and bookmarks) for family but i want make sure i even know what im looking for when i go buy it?

Thanks!!!:)

What you're looking for is crochet thread, not yarn. It is made by many different companies, and each one has its pros and cons. You will eventually figure out which thread you prefer to work with. The most popular size for doilies and other thread projects is size 10. The thing to remember with thread is that the higher the number is, the finer the thread is. If you go to WalMart and check their yarn aisle, they carry Aunt Lydia's crochet thread, usually only in two colors, white and ecru. This thread is the size 10. If you go to a LYS (local yarn store), you will probably find many more types, colors and sizes of thread, and if you order from online, the selection is practically endless! You will also need to use a steel hook to crochet the thread. The most popular size hook is a size 7. This will enable you to do work that is quite fine, but not so fine that you have difficulty seeing your stitches. If you go to Ebay and put "crochet thread" in the search box, you will come up with many, MANY auctions and "buy it now" sales for threads of all sizes and colors. This is a good way to get a good assortment of colors to work with for a reasonable price.

Ok, I was having trouble differientating between the chrochet thread and wondering if it was just embroidery floss? :lol The ebay idea sounds like a great idea. I'm so into this crocheting thing these days im even asking for crochet ANYTHING for christmas.. lol.

Thanks Again!!

Archived