Help - Front post double crochet & regular double crochet in same row

sharon456

Question

I'm starting a pattern that mixes front post double crochets and double crochets in the same row to make a waffle pattern. I've never done front post dc before, but the instructions seem easy enough. However, when it says "FPDC in each of next 2 sts, dc in next st," I'm not sure where to start the next regular double crochet. In the "heart" loop right above where the front post comes out? Or do I skip that one and go to the next "heart"?

Thanks for any help! I just started crocheting again after a number of years and am really enjoying it.

8 answers to this question

I'd do the first 'heart' that isn't obscured by the fpdc I just finished. That's how I did it in a recent project. Sometimes I would look at the other side of the work. I could see more clearly there which stitches were fpdc and which were regular dc.

Hopefully, I can help you without making it clear as mud, lol. Since you are starting the fpdc in the row below, it will look as if you are skipping a stitch in the current row. So if you think of the dc as an "x in current row" and "y as the placeholder for the fpdc " your current row would look like=x y x y x

I am sure that is worse than mud now. Hopefully, someone will be by that has a better way of describing it.:think

One of those things that is easier to do than to describe!

Just to add my 2 cents to what Adagio and Cremecycle said....normally you crochet into the top of the stitch, what I think you mean by the "heart". once you have made your post stitch, you are essentially skipping the top of that stitch, so just ignore that top loop. move on to the next stitch.

Thanks everyone. So when I change from FPDC to dc, I use the top loop *immediately to* the top left of the post I went around, which will be right above where my hook came out? And I don't skip that loop and go to the next loop one over?

When I change from dc to FPDC, I'm assuming I use the post immediately to the left and below the loop I just crocheted in, and I don't skip that post and go to the next post over?

Or maybe you all think I should just find another pattern? :-)

Archived