Round Ripple Question

I've made a couple of these now and I must say they are my favorite pattern; however I have a question. Let me preface that question by saying I tend to be a little of a perfectionist in my crochet projects.

Using Colleen's pattern, when joining the rows in the valley with the slip stitch I find that there is a seam which I notice. I have tried crocheting my chain a little tighter and that helps but I'm wondering this - If I switched hooks to a smaller hook for the chain would that help to make the connection less noticeable? (Yes I realize that that would be a pain for some to switch hooks etc. but let me remind you of the perfectionist thing! LOL).

I'm pretty sure that no one but me would notice this but then again, I'm thinking of making a RR for entry in the State Fair next year and I'm wondering if this is something the judges would also notice.

And then again I could be making a mountain out of a mole hill and simply need to get over myself!!:rofl

Comments????

I have made several RR, I use the one here

http://project-angel-kisses.150m.com/roundripple.html

It comes out perfect everytime and I know alot of people on here use the aggie may pattern.

By the way I am a perfectionist too.

I've tried that pattern but have better luck with aggie may's in laying flat - maybe I'm just to picky!!

Hi Karen, I've only made one RR so far. I love Colleen's (aka Aggie May) pattern and am about to start another. I guess I didn't really notice the "join seam", but I do understand what you're referring to. In a quick Google search, I came across a web page which shares, believe it or not, an invisible join that the creator calls the "Needle Join". I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but perhaps others have. Hope it helps!::::

http://serendipity.gpvm.com/needlejoin.html

EDIT::: I should have taken a moment to read that page through - It doesn't seem to apply. Sorry. :blush

---

Hi Karen, I've only made one RR so far. I love Colleen's (aka Aggie May) pattern and am about to start another. I guess I didn't really notice the "join seam", but I do understand what you're referring to. In a quick Google search, I came across a web page which shares, believe it or not, an invisible join that the creator calls the "Needle Join". I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but perhaps others have. Hope it helps!::::

http://serendipity.gpvm.com/needlejoin.html

I'll have to check this out. Haven't had a problem with the rr but I did end up with a noticeable seam on the hexagon afghan I made.

I've done many round ripples since I came here. Some things I do that minimize the obvious joinings:

I only do a ch2 and not a chain 3 at the beginning of a row, then do not count the ch2 as a dc. when I join the round, it goes into the top of the first dc.

Also, whenever I change colors, I start the new color in a different valley. this breaks it up, as well.

On one RR I made, I used a dc, sc, alternating pattern. Each valley began and ended with a sc, and that also minimized the seam. It also made that small gap in the valley between the two sides much smaller.

I do use the needle join method, but I don't think that applies to what you are trying to do.

Archived