Organizing

Well, I try really hard to organize my printed patterns, I really do. I have several binders with dividers and everything! They are getting quite full and I think I need to buy more, but as I was printing off more patterns;), I thought, would this go here or here? And it can fit in both, so I wondered, what do you guys do with those patterns that can fit in more than one place? Would you make duplicates and put them in both places? I don't think i would. Or would you try to remember that awesome pattern that could also work there??:think

I only make one copy of each and then I try to place it where I think that I'd most likely look for it. Kinda hard some times though. That's probably why I have an entire folder of just thread projects which, fit into many different categories. :2blush I do keep an index in the front of each binder to let me know what patterns are in there.

Right now I have a huge pile of patterns that I have to sort and figure out where they should be placed. I'll update the index for each binder when I'm done. :sweatIt may take me a while though!

I down load pdf patterns, or scan and/or copy all my patterns that aren't pdf to a work doc. Then I save them on a flash stick under different folders - afghans, baby stuff, hats & scarfs, etc. The beauty is I can copy and save in different folders if it works. I have a folder labeled misc. a folder labels websites and blogs and another labeled for "how to's" for various techniques or stitches I am interested in refering back to. One little flash holds a ton of info, and I can plug into any computer and print out a pattern as needed. I do this with my recipes also.

I have a 4 drawer file cabinet for my patterns. Two drawers are set up with folders/dividers that are labeled - first sectioned off in large divisions (ie. afghans, wearables, household etc) and then put in folders (ie. granny afghans, circle, strips, etc)

The two other drawers are for my pattern books.

As far as where to put patterns that I may want to use to make an item different than the pattern, I put it in the folder in what the pattern actually is. It is easier for me to remember where to look for it. (ie. a scarf pattern that I want to use to make an afghan, I still put in the wearable, scarf folder)

I down load pdf patterns, or scan and/or copy all my patterns that aren't pdf to a work doc. Then I save them on a flash stick under different folders - afghans, baby stuff, hats & scarfs, etc. The beauty is I can copy and save in different folders if it works. I have a folder labeled misc. a folder labels websites and blogs and another labeled for "how to's" for various techniques or stitches I am interested in refering back to. One little flash holds a ton of info, and I can plug into any computer and print out a pattern as needed. I do this with my recipes also.

That's an excellent idea about a Flash Stick. I will have to give that a try. Thanks for sharing the idea.

I down load pdf patterns, or scan and/or copy all my patterns that aren't pdf to a work doc. Then I save them on a flash stick under different folders. One little flash holds a ton of info, and I can plug into any computer and print out a pattern as needed. I do this with my recipes also.

I also have my patterns saved on a a flash drive but I prefer to see them printed on paper. I use separate folders on the flash drive for different crafts but don't separate them into catagories. It makes it easier to check and see if I already have the patttern. :yes

Archived