Crochet Group Question

I belong to a crochet group in my town and a few of us get together weekly to talk and work on projects and go over new things we have learned to make. My question is what can we do to add more excitement to our group and change up what we are crocheting seems like we are in a rut crocheting the same patterns and afgans over and over again. Please help. Thank you in advance.

I'd suggest introducing something new and exciting---how about thread and then gradually work in beads? Beads aren't super expensive and it's so fun to pick special ones to work with to make bookmarks, sparkly headbands...or get super ambitious and make Kristina's Orange Tank Top or something. :)

How about some type of crochet along? Or pick a charity and each make something speciall for that? Does your group do exchanges? Maybe something along that line. :hook

Tammy

You could also go to the library and borrow their entire collection of crochet books and take them to your group. Maybe you'll get some new ideas. If not, at least it's fun to look at all the books!

You could also have a pattern/book exchange. Have everyone bring in all the patterns they never use anymore and swap with someone who wants them.

Good luck! You're lucky to have a group to crochet with!

Have you & your group tried crochet felting yet? You crochet an item with natural fibers (100% pure wool) then putting it in a washing machine to felt? It's still crochet but taking it another dimension further.

You could scrap bag crochet!!

Have everyone bring in a one gallon ziplock baggie full of yarn (skeins or scraps) and then have everyone put their name in a jar.

Go around and have each person pick a name...the name they choose is the bag they take...then they create whatever they can for that person with the yarn.

I used to do it in quilting groups and it was so much fun!! You can set any time limit (one week, one month...)

You can also host rummage trades.....where your group brings in yarns/tools/books/etc and trades & barters with each other for new goods.

If one of you is a member of the Crochet Guild of America. They have some correspondence courses you can ask for -- for example Tapestry Crochet by Carol Ventura or overlay crochet by Melody MacDuffie. The whole group could view the tape and you could all practice the new technique (I think the courses cost about $70 or $80 dollars).

Or for less expense, you could have a different member teach all of you their favorite crochet stitch. Take turns at each different meeting.

If your members are open to doing new projects, have everyone write down a small crochet project on a slip of paper, such as potholder, purse, flower embellishment, dishcloth, scrubbie, scarf, etc. Then have each member draw a slip of paper. For the next meeting, each would have to find a pattern for the item - and bring it to a future determined meeting. This might get members to try some new projects.

I don't have any suggestions really, but the fact that your group continues to meet is GREAT! I've tried forming 2 groups (one knitting, one crochet) and it's really hard to keep them meeting, darn it. Those who join need outside family interests, but aren't willing to commit any time to it.

I don't know the skill levels of your participants, but how about picking a nice, shortsleeve top pattern. Then everybody picks a different color or edging or something to make it 'theirs.' A lot of discussion can go on regarding how to get proper fit etc. I'm sure there are online patterns available for this.

Archived