Steel hook shaft

I have just started thread crochet though I have been yarn crocheting for years and years and did I say years. Right now I am using a Susan Bates B1/2.25mm hook with a size 10 thread. I would like to use a smaller hook however I finally realized part of the reason I don’t like thread crochet with steel hooks, it is the shape of the hook shaft that is driving me nuts. The steels I have are various brands either no name on them at all or Boye, I don’t believe I have any that I know for a fact is Susan Bates. Of the steels I have they all seem to change from the nice small hook to a much larger hook size shaft very quickly. I understand that the larger shaft is to give structural strength to the hook however I am wondering is there a brand that has a smaller shaft for a longer section than other brands? If so what brand might that be?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

I thought that Susan Bates did this? That is, if you look at a Bates hook from one side, it appears to be simply round with no parts that are skinnier than others. At least that's how I tell a Bates hook. I hold it up to the light and it the diameter of the shaft remains constant from the thumb thingy down to the end of the hook, it's a Bates.

But anyhow, I just took a look at my Clover thread hooks. They get fatter as fast as the Boye, The thumb rest is about a half inch further down the shaft.

There are "Comfort Hooks" in steel (thread) hook sizes. I recieved a couple for Christmas last year, and I love them. I wasn't sure at first, and had never bought them for myself...but having received, I tried. on a thread teddy bear, no less. And it was great! The first teddy bear I tried, my hands were quite fatigued from trying to keep the tension tight enough for stuffing...but with these, no problem! (THUD, btw) I forget the brand just now (Boye, Bates...) , but they have big yellow-brown handles that are kind of plastic-y with a rubbery "thumb rest" that keeps your thumb from slipping. I've seen them at Hobby Lobby, if that helps.

They've even got me thinking about trying size 20 thread ;)

The only crochet hooks I use are Profi hooks. They are very pricey and I guard them with my life. But I can crochet for hours with no discomfort -- no letters or numbers rubbing my fingers. My favorite size is 1.00 for size 10 or size .75 for size 20 thread. Here's a link:

http://www.karpstyles.com/item_442.html

There are other online stores that carry them so compare prices. I recently bought a set on eBay of lesser quality, but the same style for a fraction of the cost. If you are an avid crocheter, you'll appreciate the hooks.

Thank you MaryPat. I wouldn't be surprised if it is Susan Bates as those are the hooks I use for yarn. I have only had Susan Bates and Boye available to me, I wonder what it would be like to have lots of brands available, she says with a dreamy expression on her face. LOL

Thank you MomCrochets. What style do you crochet with the "Comfort Hooks"? Do you use the knife hold or the pencil hold? I'm a pencil hold person myself and have wondered if the "Comfort Hooks" would work for me.

Thank you bakerida. I had never heard of those hooks. You are right they are pricey!!! I see by that site they are being discontinued by the manufacturer. Hopefully I will be able to get one or one like it in the near future.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

Tammy, I use pencil hold myself, but it looks like either way would work. (btw, they're by clover--soft touch I think they're also called--and their numbers are a bit different. their number 4, for example, is 1.50mm...but they DO put mm size on the packaging, not just numbers). HTH

Steel crochet hooks and thread crochet is discussed in detail here http://crochet.tangleweeds.com/beginners.html#hooks .

The hooks you have that aren't marked but you think are Susan Bates probably are if they have the inline head they are Susan Bates. You can check my blog for differences between inline and tapered hooks.

Thanks everyone. Seems hook makers are as bad as the thread makers when it comes to keeping their sizing consistant between brands. :lol Emily thank you for the link I have saved it. Love how it shows what part of the hook to use buy color area on the hook. I'm off to check out your website for more information. I'm saving all the links as I know they will be of great help when I teach my future DIL to crochet. I just found out yesterday that she wants to do thread too not just yarn. :yay:yay:yay

Thanks again.

Archived