nooooooooooo!

ginaj

Question

i am making my first picture afghan.it was going great till late last night i was trying to finish but was really tired.i know better.anyway when i looked i had missed 2 stitches about 80 rows back.enough to make you scream.so i spent this morning taking them out.that will teach me its time to stop when you can no longer count to 10.lol

5 answers to this question

I've always been intimidated by those "graph afghans". I drool over the ones posted here & just wish I had the guts to even do a little one. Back when I used to cross stitch, inevitably I'd find one stitch that would be wrong & it would throuw the whole thing off. Used to drive me crazy until I figured out that if blocked off the pattern above & below the area I was working on using those big post it notes, I rarely missed stitches. It looked odd because I had these stickie papers everywhere but it seemed to work for me. Not sure if it will help you or not but thought I'd mention it.

Best of luck - you're a gutsy person for doing one of these-can't wait to see it finished!

(What picture are you doing by the way?)

is never any fun to:2frog :2frog :2frog , but i can tell you what i think, if it is wrong then it has to be done over, at least for me, i once had a afghan all done except for maybe 5 rows, when i was looking at it in the light i found a mistake, started :2frog :2frog :2frog and hubby goes what are you doing?. told him i found a mistake, he says where, i showed him, even though he couldn't tell the difference, i could and was no way i could leave it like that. so i am proud of you:manyheart :manyheart :manyheart

i am making my first picture afghan.it was going great till late last night i was trying to finish but was really tired.i know better.anyway when i looked i had missed 2 stitches about 80 rows back.enough to make you scream.so i spent this morning taking them out.that will teach me its time to stop when you can no longer count to 10.lol

I have a different view. If the error doesn't show (except to a crocheter) or affect the usefulness of the work (it's still warm for example, if it's an afghan) and depending on what it is being made for - I would leave it alone. Some yarns are horrible to frog (like boucle and homespun and chenille).

In fact, I recently made a baby afghan - my own pattern even - and I made two rows of one stitch, instead of one row. There was nothing wrong with the row except that it shouldn't have been there. LOL I had already sewed all the ends in, or in this case I would have frogged it because it was for charity. I was going to make another one and just use that one for my pet, but the charity coordinator said no, please send it. It will be just as warm. Which is the truth. And my dog didn't really need an afghan. So I sent it on and it will warm a baby on the reservation.

Here's a picture of the ghan.

104930515.jpg

However, I admire those with the guts to rip out a whole afghan because of an error. :-) I have had occasion to rip back a dozen rows and it pained me greatly. LOL My husband said the same thing - WHAT are you doing? I especially hate this when I'm on a deadline, like around Christmas.

When I'm doing something that is difficult, I like to check off the rows one at a time. After it's check'ed off, I go back and look at the stitches carefully, and sometimes I even count. If it's a trally large project, I might count every few rows. In the end, if you're doing something that matters, it really is worth the time to count and check, and even double check.

When I'm doing something that is difficult, I like to check off the rows one at a time. After it's check'ed off, I go back and look at the stitches carefully, and sometimes I even count. If it's a trally large project, I might count every few rows. In the end, if you're doing something that matters, it really is worth the time to count and check, and even double check.

This is a great idea. I do this on a lot of projects, particularly ripples. But rather than waiting until I finish a row, I count the "patterns". Like in a ripple - how many stitches before the hill and after the hill. If the first row is correct, then counting the succeeding rows should decrease the chance of errors tremendously.

It obviously doesn't eliminate completely as I still make errors, but as the other poster said, it is usually when I'm tired and my brain isn't working at full capacity (if it ever is lol).

Archived