Ideas needed- What Now????

centerpt1

Question

DSCN0339.jpg

OK- I need help....what do I do to finish this off? I had ment for the arm edges to be longer...but.....It's made from Brilliant- which doesn't fringe. Do I do an edging? What kind? I've even thought about putting some short sleeves on it.....Here's the stitch

DSCN0341.jpg

I was making this as a gift- but it's not turning out the way I wanted....no pattern...just my idea...gone soooo wrong!!!! Please HELP!!!!!

16 answers to this question

What a beautiful stitch! Looks like an awful lot of work! I agree with Aggie May -- I would join the sides under the arms and then extend the sleeves to a 3/4 length and put a simple edging, sc maybe?, around the whole thing. You have SO MUCH work in it I hope you come up with a result you're pleased with.

Susan Rae

At least I feel like I'm moving forward now!

I really like hitting my crochet books for ideas, too- That Harmony book has been leafed through so many times it's pretty dog-eared! lol. It's a favorite because it gives the charts as well as written instructions. I work much better from charts.....

WoW!!! You are right- that looks GREAT!!!!!!

Really brings it all together with that open , airy stitch- which is kind of the same problem I think I'm having!

I'm glad you like it :). Now your problem will be to figure out which of all the great suggestions you've gotten will give you something you like. Sometimes you look at a project and just think, "what the heck is this missing???" That's when I go bleery-eyed trolling the web for inspiration :). I often find it here.

--Lee

WoW!!! You are right- that looks GREAT!!!!!!

Really brings it all together with that open , airy stitch- which is kind of the same problem I think I'm having!

It really helps so much to have everyone's great ideas! It made me feel like this wasn't hopeless- and also gave me confidence to keep on thinking and working on it rather than giving up!

Centerpt,

Hi again. Here are a few pics of the shawl with the scalloped edging I mentioned in my last post. Please ignore the model (me). My beautiful daugher was going to model for me but had to leave for a volleyball tournament :).

--Lee

shawl2sm.jpg

shawlbacksm.jpg

shawlsidesm.jpg

shawl3sm.jpg

That is a really good idea......right now I'm leaning towards a larger scalloped type edging such as you describe- or a heart fillet scallop that includes the gull wing stitch in the heart center (it's in both the "Harmony Guide to Crocheting" and "Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet") I think that would carry ther theme - make it drape better- make the arm ends longer- finish it off nicely..only problem now is....there aren't any corners described or charted for that edging- and I want to corner- hmmmmmmm

Centerpt,

You could try adding a medium-large scalloped edging. I had a similar problem with a shawl I just finished yesterday. I used the "Easiest Shawl Ever" pattern from Crochet Me (http://crochetme.com/issue_1/easiest_shawl_ever.html) with a mohair blend yarn and Q hook, which also gave me a lacy, open fabric like yours. I think because my yarn was so light, the shawl seemed unfinished to me and I didn't like the drape. It was also a bit shorter than I wanted in the back. The original design called for two large tassels on the side points, but I still thought the shawl would look unfinished with my solid-colored yarn. I thought of fringe too, but again, the yarn seemed too light for that. So I decided to try the scalloped edging from Lion Brand's "Coming Home" Martha poncho (http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/chs-scallopEdgePoncho.html), which is also an open, lacy scallop eding (to match the look and feel of the body of the fabric). I only did the first three rounds.

Well, it came out GREAT! Better than I expected. It gave the shawl a wonderful drape and a somewhat funky-yet-classic look. It totally finished my shawl, and turned my project from a "ho-hum-in-the-closet" project into an "I-can't-wait-to-wear-it" addition to my wardrobe.

I'll post pics as soon as I install the Photobucket upload tool.

Hope this helps. I hate that feeling when a project just doesn't come out the way you want. :)

--Lee

========================

[quote name=

centerpt1]

OK- I need help....what do I do to finish this off? I had ment for the arm edges to be longer...but.....It's made from Brilliant- which doesn't fringe. Do I do an edging? What kind? I've even thought about putting some short sleeves on it.....Here's the stitch

I was making this as a gift- but it's not turning out the way I wanted....no pattern...just my idea...gone soooo wrong!!!! Please HELP!!!!!

You have SO MUCH work in it I hope you come up with a result you're pleased with.

I hope so too......But you guys have really given me hope and some great ideas.......thank you so much for taking the time to share your creative ideas...I really was at a brick wall and needed some help!:eek

I had thought about silver or grey ribbon fringe- actually took some yarn to the store to match up ribbon- but couldn't find the color I needed to look right with the yarn......

Maybe a heart filet edging- would add inches to the side and go along with the hugs and kisses theme?

It's open like a poncho- that was the original idea- but the arm ends weren't long enough- good idea to see what it looks like turned........I was thinking of a chain and picot edging..doubled to make two triangles...... I like that hugs and kisses idea! The stitch is from filet crochet- it's a varient of Gull Wings....alternate a Gull Wing with a Double square.....

or maybe chaining down, doing a picot with a bead , and chaingin up to make fringe that way? Another thought was the celestial edging -from crocet.com....

Thanks for the ideas

Is it sewn up at the side seams or open like a poncho?

My suggestion would be to join the side seam evenly on both sides and make

wee tube sleeves. Just crochet the same pattern then put a wee cuff at the wrist.

Or, if you do not wish to do that, crochet a nice wide panel on each side to make it wider without making it longer. Then do a wee scallop edge right around the whole thing to make it look like that is what you intended in the first place.

I bet it looks different with her arms down so maybe you are worrying about nothing. Remember, you are more critical because you made it, so test the water by letting her wear it and see what reaction you get. I bet it will be all good.

Have you tried giving it a turn so the long sides hang over the shoulders? Maybe then you could join the under arm to form two long tubes and make a wee cuff on each end, then make like a skirt bit to hang down front and back, like a Tabard. (Not joined)

I think it is beautiful anyway.

Have fun.

Colleen.

PS I think the stitch looks like :hug Hugs & Kisses so that is appropriate for a gift. Is that what the stitch is called?

I think that maybe edging the arms in sc then doing a pretty edging around the bottom..

HERE is a listing of alot of edging ideas for you. Hopfully you can find something there.

Good luck and btw (by the way) it looks really good!

Maybe a simple picot edging? I really don't know. That's the first thing I thought of though. Maybe now that I've thrown an idea out there it will help someone who is wiser than me to get some creative juices flowing to help you out!

Archived