FELTING a non-felted pattern???

BJV

You can felt any pattern, but if it's adult size when made, it will become child size when felted. Felting isn't an exact science, there's no 'formula' that says how large and loose to make the item before felting to get the size you want. You're results will depend on the wool used, the way you felt (by hand or in washer), and how long you leave it in. If you can't find a specific pattern written for felting, you'll have to do a lot of swatching and felt the swatches to see what the results are. Hopefully you can find a pattern here: http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com

You can felt any pattern, but if it's adult size when made, it will become child size when felted. Felting isn't an exact science, there's no 'formula' that says how large and loose to make the item before felting to get the size you want. You're results will depend on the wool used, the way you felt (by hand or in washer), and how long you leave it in. If you can't find a specific pattern written for felting, you'll have to do a lot of swatching and felt the swatches to see what the results are. Hopefully you can find a pattern here: www.crochetpatterncentral.com

Thx, Kathy.....I have many felting patterns BUT I have this one hat pattern....newsboy...that I would LOVE to felt. WOuld think there would be a way to make it larger so as to "come out with the felted look". ANY ONE able to suggest. Larger hook...or what???

I just finished felting 3 potholders and it very much depends on the brand of wool your using. I got different results with different brands. You are going to have to do a swatch and check percentage of shrinkage. One of the wools I used shrank much more width-wise than lengthwise. I did find a pattern so maybe you can get some ideas from it:

http://www.dianelangan.com/CrochetPatternFiles/websafenames/feltcab.html

Archived