How much extra? (seam allowance)

srmc

Question

I am hoping you all can help me figure something out.

The main reason I have not yet crocheted any wearable clothing is my fear of not making it the right size. Because of this I think I am crazy for what I am going to attempt to do. I have a simple tank (2 pieces sewn at sides and top of straps) that I love and fits me well. I am thinking I could maybe make my own pattern based on this top. Coming from someone who NEVER thought to ever try to make something on my own, I need some help. I think I can figure out how much yarn etc I will need but one question I have is how much extra (stitches) should I crochet for the seam? One inch? Two inches?

Thanks so much for all the help you can give.

10 answers to this question

In crochet you really can get a pretty close seam. I think the most you would need would be one stitch on each side as a seam. I wouldn't be afraid of not getting the right size, if you get the gauge right on a pattern you should be able to crochet the size indicated on the pattern. I say "Go For It!!" I will be looking for your first pattern soon. :hook

In crochet you really can get a pretty close seam. I think the most you would need would be one stitch on each side as a seam. I wouldn't be afraid of not getting the right size, if you get the gauge right on a pattern you should be able to crochet the size indicated on the pattern. I say "Go For It!!" I will be looking for your first pattern soon. :hook

Thank you Wendy.

I am hoping to be able to sit down and figure this thing out soon. LOL! All other patterns I have come across are too small for me and that is why I have always been afraid to make anything (that does not stop me from hoarding patterns though :lol ). So far my experience has been with hats (too small), scarves and a shawl.

Crochet seams really don't take up that much space at all, so don't over estimate! I did with an iPod cozy and my iPod kept sliding out. :)

Thank you Kusine. I will keep that in mind. I am one that always overthinks things and I probably would over estimate too. LOL! :D

Stefani, that was me. :blush I'm doing a little tidying up on the board. :heehee I like titles that are more explanatory.

I kind of figured it was something like that. LOL! Like I said. It sounds a lot smarter now. :D

Thank you.

One thing you can do is to crochet it in the round. Crochet a chain that fits comfortably around you and then join it being careful not to twist the chain. You then crochet a round in the stitch of your choosing( you'll have to figure out the multiple of the stitch for the base chain, not too hard) Join and then turn and do the next row, repeat until you have a tube that is as long as you want it to be (usually the underarm area). Then all you have to do is the front neckline and straps in rows and the back the same way. The only seam you have is the shoulder seams. I like this method because it allows you to try it on as you are making it, and adjust the length, or go up a hook size to accomadate larger bosoms( not a problem of mine:sigh )

Now you don't HAVE to turn at each row but I usually choose to do it that way because eventually when you split the front and the back and switch to rows instead of rounds sometimes there will be a visable difference if you haven't turned your work up to that point. Anyway, it's an idea.

One thing you can do is to crochet it in the round. Crochet a chain that fits comfortably around you and then join it being careful not to twist the chain. You then crochet a round in the stitch of your choosing( you'll have to figure out the multiple of the stitch for the base chain, not too hard) Join and then turn and do the next row, repeat until you have a tube that is as long as you want it to be (usually the underarm area). Then all you have to do is the front neckline and straps in rows and the back the same way. The only seam you have is the shoulder seams. I like this method because it allows you to try it on as you are making it, and adjust the length, or go up a hook size to accomadate larger bosoms( not a problem of mine:sigh )

Thank you. That is an idea. I had thought working in the round would be an option but I am thinking it may not work for what I want to do though.

I want more of a look that is boxy. Wouldn't crochet in the round make it more close fitting to the body?

Archived