a question about buttons and patterns.

Please excuse this if I put it in the wrong place, but wasn't sure where it should go. I am working on some items for my new niece, she is 1 week old today. I saw a post here about a hexagon sweater, loved it and made one with a matching hat, will post pics later. My question is what kind of buttons do you put on a sweater for a newborn? The sweater is a bit large for her I think (I am in KY she is in Colorado, so I can't try it on,lol) For those who make baby items any suggestions?? This is only my second sweater, and the first didn't have any buttons.

My second question is do you have any favorite patterns for baby washcloths?

I had the exact same type of questions when I made that sweater for a friend.

My mom said that the best kind of buttons have the four holes to sew them on so they are less likely to come loose. The smaller the better, so if they do come off and the baby eats them, they'll pass through instead of choking the baby or causing other problems. I know with crocheted button holes I had to use larger than she liked buttons but she also said that as long as I sewed them on really well it ought to be fine.

Here is a nice baby bath cloth pattern (you must join the site to get the pattern):

http://www.freepatterns.com/search.html?parent_cat_id=&usage=&criteria=baby+bath+cloths&x=103&y=20

Only problem is I've never found a sport weight cotton that's soft enough to use in a wash cloth and this pattern calls for sport weight cotton. :think Size 3 crochet thread maybe? I don't know, even that doesn't seem soft enough. I do like the pattern Dextersmom linked to. I've made that one and the Bernat Cottontots is super soft! :hook

Archived