Round Ripple Pattern - question on stitch

Are you going through both loops when making a double crochet? Or front loop only or back loop only??

Something I am doing and I am repeating my problem after I leave row 3 or 4.

I'll try to explain as best as I can. I think of the round ripple row 1 to 12 as pie that is cut into slices. After the 3 or 4 row - between the skip 2 to the next skip 2, I am getting a raised slice.

What am I doing that is causing this up and down effect? I am left handed and whatever in the heck I am doing is caused by me - if everyone else is not getting the WAVE!

My 4 ply is quickly becoming a 1 ply - I have started and stopped so many times!!!!

At this point, all help is welcomed!

Peggy Pennie

I tried to take a scan and a digital photo but it doesn't really show up.

After a restless night sleep I am going to start back trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I am crocheting thru both loops.

Its got to be the dc stitches between the skip 2 and the chain 2 stitches and then coming down to the skip 2 stitches!

Left side is raised going up and the right side is lower going down.

All the dc's in each row are there. It looks perfect until I step back and look at the up and down, wave, ripple or whatever effect I'm getting. Its not completely flat, one slice of the pie is high and the next is low and it repeats all the way around.

I can get to row 12 or more, everything is fine and lining up, the rows are straight as a arrow and all the peaks likewise...

Its something and I can't put my finger on it.

Perhaps I will try and find a yarn shop and see if someone can look in person.

Peggy Pennie

I think I've seen this before. But don't know what causes it. And it doesn't happen all the time. but I think it has to do with the directionality, and texture of the stitches. the surface of some sections just seem to be a tad higher than the neighboring sections.

as long as you have the correct number of points, and it isn't cupping or ruffling, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Working blo or flo would produce a ridge that would follow the line of your work.

Just back from the yarn doctor and was told.......the yarn is too stiff!

I was using old-fashion Red Heart 4 ply worsted. I've had it for years and its been stored in a Rubbermaid container in the garage. Maybe it dries with age? I've used the same yarn, same age, for basic oblong granny square afghan - maybe that's why I never noticed the problem.

I am going to throw this piece in the washer and see if the finish result is different.

I didn't have the pattern with me but I explained all the stitches - after all these attempts, I know it from heart!!! She looked at my stitches she said everything looked right.

Another teacher walked in as we were looking at it. She asked the teacher what she thought was wrong......she said the same thing, not knowing what we had talked about.

I have some Red Heart Baby Yarn and will try that this evening to see if it still happens.

If I get the same result, I'm giving up.

I thank everyone for their help.

Peggy Pennie

Archived