Seems like it's going to be HUGE!

In the book "Blue Ribbon Winners from America's State Fairs" afghan pattern book, there's an afghan that I fell in love with and decided to make, despite the fact that it involves the weaving-in of many ends and assembling of squares, two things that I really don't like to do. But I REALLY like this afghan and, despite the fact that I'm not doing it in the same colors as the one in the book, I think it's going to be gorgeous. Having made 45 squares of the 504 (:eek) that the pattern calls for, I now think it's going to be GINORMOUS as well! Let me run this by you folks and see what you think.

It calls for using an "F" hook. I don't really like to work with worsted weight yarn and a small hook like an "F", so I decided to use a "G". It's not a huge difference, but enough of a difference that I don't feel like the yarn is too big for the hook. HOWEVER, the squares are turning out to be ALMOST normal sized granny squares, and this pattern calls for 504 of them! I figure at that size, my afghan should be able to cover most of Matagorda Island! :lol

I'm supposed to do three rows of the square in a variegated color, and then the fourth row in either eggshell (the main border color) or one of the colors in the variegated color (these form the blocks that the eggshell-bordered squares contain). For those of you who have that book, the pattern I'm doing is called "Grape Arbor", but instead of the green and purple variegated, I'm using a browns-to-oranges variegated because I had almost 30 skeins of the stuff.

Now, just for the heck of it, I forced myself to work with the "F" hook and the WW yarn and I made one square, just to see how much larger I caused this thing to be by using the "G" hook, and the difference is actually minimal!! I don't know how they figure they need over 500 (almost normal sized granny squares, NOT SALTINES!) squares to make this afghan! Has anyone ever made it? And if so, has it turned out huge? Anyone have any input? I would love for it to be large, but I really only need it large enough to comfortably cover me and DH, we don't need to include the neighbors! :lol

I've got that book, and you know, it does seem huge. The measurements they have say it comes out 7 feet by a little over 6 feet at their guage. Are your squares coming out at the 3 1/4" they say? You can always just adjust the pattern to suit your needs, but it does seem like a lot of squares they call for!

I really liked the book. Maybe it's cuz I've had a couple state winners of my own, but I thought it was so cool to see all the different types that were done. I also found it interesting that I've already done some of these patterns out of the books I have. And I got some new ideas.

Happy crocheting!

:hookColleen

I figured what I would do is before I sit and make 504 grannies, I'll make, say, 150 of them and see what it looks like. I can always add more if I need to. I know that the quilt-ghans use TONS of those little saltines, but these are turning out to be regular sized grannies, nowhere NEAR the 3 inch size they're supposed to be, and I have a very average tension when I crochet. My work isn't big and sloppy, nor is it tight enough that the hook has to be forced through, it's right in the middle. It's still going to be beautiful, I was just amazed at the projected size of the thing! :lol

Maybe you need to use a sport weight yarn.

At first I thought maybe I did read the instructions incorrectly, and that I needed a sport weight yarn instead, but I went back and checked and sure enough, it calls for worsted weight.

I'm going to have to see how many squares of each color edging I'll need to make a smaller version of the pattern and take it from there, I guess. Otherwise this is going to turn into a project for the ages! :lol

504? 504 of anything is too much for me! I admire your stay to it factor lol. I couldn't do it! Good luck. I don't know anything about the afghan but it does sound like it will be big!

Just because a pattern is written doesn't actually mean it's correct. You can do any pattern in any size yarn with matching hook. If you don't want it that huge it's ok to drop down to a sport weight yarn. If you want to make it baby sized you can drop down to thread.

I can't wait to see your monstrosity! I've made a few of my own. lolol

I too can't wait to see your ghan..And I would go with your "gut feeling" and just do the

150 of them and size it to your bed, add as necessary..Cause you never know who may try to snuggle in with you..lol...

In this house, that's SOOO true! :lol Between DH, the dog and the cats (we won't mention how many of THEM there are! :lol) SOMEBODY ALWAYS wants in on the action when the "blankies" come out! :lol

Archived