Bernat's Granny Square Throw - Help

snbunch

Question

Hi all-

I'm trying to make the sqaures on Bernat's Granny Square Throw (http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=290), and am having difficulties. The first one I finished the first two rounds perfectly (beginners luck, I guess), but then started over because I wanted to use different yarn. The next 3(!!) I can't get round 2 to end correctly. It's in PDF format on the website, & you have to be a free member to view it, so I'm going to type out the 1st 2 rounds here. I'd like someone to test out the first two rounds to see if it's the pattern or if it is just me. Thanks to any who help.

With MC, ch 4. Join in ring

1st rnd: Ch 3 (counts as dc). [2 dc. (Ch 2. 3 dc) 3 times] in ring. Ch 2. Join with sl st to top of ch 3. Fasten off.

2nd rnd: Join A with sl st to any ch 2 sp. Ch 3 (counts as dc). (2 dc. Ch 2. 3 dc) in same ch 2 sp. *1 dc in each of next 3 dc. (3 dc. Ch 2. 3 dc) in next ch 2 sp. Rep from * twice more. 1 dc in each of next 3 dc. Join with sl st to top of ch 3. Fasten off.

My problem. When I finish repeating from the asterisk twice in round 2, there aren't 3 dc's left to dc into! What am I doing wrong? :(

5 answers to this question

When you finish round 1, you should have 4 groups of 3dc for a total of 12dc and 4 ch2 spaces. For round 2, you will do the 3dc, ch2, 3dc in each ch2 space and dc in each of the 12 dc in round one.

There is a mistake in the pattern. Rnd 1 should read (Ch3, 2dc, ch2, 3dc) in ring. (3dc, ch2, 3dc) 3 times in ring. Join and fasten off.

When you finish round 1, you should have 4 groups of 3dc for a total of 12dc and 4 ch2 spaces. For round 2, you will do the 3dc, ch2, 3dc in each ch2 space and dc in each of the 12 dc in round one.

There is a mistake in the pattern. Rnd 1 should read (Ch3, 2dc, ch2, 3dc) in ring. (3dc, ch2, 3dc) 3 times in ring. Join and fasten off.

Woohoo! Thanks Julie. I thought that "Ch 2" looked funny at the end of round 1.

:hug

I have just done the pattern rows as written and there is no mistake. If you do not do the last CH2, you will not have a space between your 3DC groups.

The first bit has only 2DC because it has the CH3 which stands as the first DC on each row.:think :think :think

The mistake is with the brackets as the first 2DC is not repeated in the row, just the CH2, 3DC., and you end with CH2, slip stitch into the top of the first CH3.

You now should have 4 groups of 3DC and 4 CH2 spaces.

You join into any CH2 space to start the next row then work CH3, 2DC, CH2, 3DC into that space, *then work 1DC into the top of next 3DC, 3DC, CH2 3DC into next CH2 SP* Repeat *to* to last CH2 SP, then work 1DC into last 3DC. Join with a slip stitch into the top of starting CH.

Hope this helps.

Colleen.:hug

Now we all know that I don't write patterns. My explaination was correct but I really messed up trying to write it out. So I'm trying it again.

Rnd 1: Ch3, 2dc, ch2, (3dc, ch2) 3 times in ring.

I ended up finishing a square last night with the pattern as it was written (I had the brackets problem worked out in my head) and it's square for the most part. Does that count? :think

Heh. Thanks for the help guys. :D

It was my first granny square, & just a test square anyway cause I'm looking for a granny square pattern that I like.

Archived