Cruelty-free yarn??

hookd1989

I just read an article from PETA on how some sheep are treated in regards to Australian wool. I've never seen an article like this before. :(

Has anyone else heard of cruel practices in regards to the wool industry?

Are there any wool yarns to stay clear of? :think

This is new info for me...would appreciate any info the "village" has to offer.

:sheepjump

Thanks again.

I don't know if there is any validity to that story. I remember seeing that as well and could have sworn that someone posted that the statements PITA was making were invalid. I'll have to go back and see if I can find that post.

I understand how PETA may seem a bit extreme sometimes, but just remember: don't shoot the messenger.

Remember that the wool industry is not interested in the welfare of the animals, just the bottom line. Therefore it doesn't surprise me that their treatment of these animals is less than adequet.

I just stay away from wool and stick to cotton, linen, acrylics, etc... If I could keep my own sheep, I would have no prob with wool. (Although I don't think I'll be taking in sheep anytime soon as I think they're not allowed in nyc zoning laws ^_^).

What really ticked me off was the previous issue of Crochet Fantasy, which included an article about real fur yarns (mink, etc...). I sent them a letter explaining how offended I was by the article, and I encourage the like-minded to write as well. (I even included a pic of my ferret, dax)

Someday I'll figure out how to use all of the tons of cat hair my beautiful long-haired maine-coon-mix sheds. (tons and tons and tons...)

Sadly it's probably true! I'm not entirely sure about all this sheep dip they use. I live in a farming community and a guy up the road has been in a wheelchair since his 30's because of the stuff! Hate to think what it does to the sheep, but they don't live long enough to see the effects.

Alison

Remember that the wool industry is not interested in the welfare of the animals, just the bottom line. Therefore it doesn't surprise me that their treatment of these animals is less than adequet.

If you get into spinning (if you're not already), you'll likely meet a bunch of sheep/llama/alpaca/goat farmers at festivals and on the spinning lists and the like. I always talk to them about their animals -- it gives me a better idea of how they are treated. Also, the spinning shops generally know where their wool actually comes from (not exactly true with the Ashland Bay items) -- which gives me information to ensure that the source is adequate.

I had some wonderful conversations with farmers at MD S+W this year. They baby their animals, often times they are treated as part of the family (similar to a family pet). I also have visited a couple of alpaca farms and all of those alpacas were all treated very well -- so I had no qualms about purchasing fiber from them to spin.

So it really depends. I am sure that some of the larger sources are not as humane, but also consider that PETA do tend to exaggerate.

Archived