Question about originality of patterns

AidanM

Question

3 answers to this question

It all depends...on how much of "parts" you're putting together...how closely it resembles something else...and who you ask. Me, personally, I'd say that as long as you just looked at several things and got inspiration, and kind of incorporated some "parts" of each into one final product, without hanging over each individual pattern and copying it outright, you it would have an original.

But that's just my suggestion...and the final answer depends on so many things...

Well, basically, I'm making a hat and I'm using the round center from a granny square pattern for part of the crown and then the brim from another pattern and I'm attatching a rose to it from yet another pattern.

I know for me, I make a lot of hats and I use a flower from a pattern I found in a booklet. I definitely don't believe that I can create a hat pattern and use that flower as part of the pattern. The flower itself has a pattern, and if you use someone else's flower, than it's not yours. If you could come up with your own way to make a flower then I'd say the rest is fine. A granny square is a granny square is a granny square.

Archived