Crochet dress pattern without seams

I am looking for a pattern for a dress to crochet that doesn't have seams. The ones I have all say crochet the front and the back then stitch together. This will be for a little girls, sizes from 3T- 6/7

are there any out there that are just made whole?

I don't know of a pattern, but have you thought about drafting your own? I have recently made two cardigans from the bottom up with only shoulder seams and setting in the sleeves. It all starts with a good diagram with appropriate measurements. A cardigan does have a front opening, but if worked in the round you could work from the bottom up and then divide for the front back when you hit the armhole. This would then only require two small shoulder seams for a sleeveless and two more seams if you are setting in sleeves.

I know it sounds complicated, but it really isn't if you diagram it first and do a good stitch gauge. I also highly recommend Lily Chin's book 'Couture Crochet Workshop' for help in getting started. Come to think of it there is a sleeveless dress pattern in her book that is very pretty.

GO check out http://www.christinascrochethaven.com/Little%20Girl's%20Patterns%20Index.htm Her patterns are pretty easy. She has a cute babydoll top that would probably look cute as a dress also.

I checked these out and some of the dresses are just so cute. I am sure you will find one for your daughters.

:manyheart

If you have a dress that you like and want to make it in one piece, see how many stitches are required for the front and back and chain that many. For instance, if starting at the waist and the front calls for 48 sts and so does the back, then chain 96 and join. Work in rounds instead of rows to desired length, following increasing directions as they apply. From the waist up work in rounds until you divide for armholes. Here you will, of course, have to work in rows and sew the shoulder seams. I have done this before and it works! It does take some rethinking and maybe a few notes until you're comfortable with it.

I love both those places, thank you for showing me.

I taught myself to crochet back in 2002, it was something to help relax me while dealing with Graves Disease and infertility. Funny thing was was that I really enjoyed it but I started having kids one after the other and crocheting was put on the back burner. ( I had 1st child from 1st marriage back when i was 21, then 2nd at in 2003, 3rd in 2004 and a surprise on our own with no help at all in 2006) So it's been busy here and now that youngest is about 2 1/2 now I have a little time to work on things. I had a pattern that I was working on for a few years but what I have come to find is that the pattern is screwed up so i decided to do my own. I just finished a prayer shawl and am working on dresses now.

I do have an afghan that is only going to be done in SC since dh likes warmth and not something with holes so that for now is on the back burner becasue I need the dresses done before spring/summer since I plan on making several.

I will check the pattern I have, it's from a book and my dd really really likes it but I have never done my own and I have never combined the two to make one in rounds , never even thought I could do it. So not sure I'll be able to with this just yet... I have no one here to show it to to help me out so I might be asking for questions. lol

I found a dress that I like BUT it measures chest for 22 inches and my girls' chests are 21 inches for 2 1/2 yr old and 24 inches for 4 1/2 yr old(remember 4 yr old is in 6/7 sometimes 5T so 6 is more for her)

How do i make the dress bigger for her? I am sooooooooooo scared to change this pattern...Help meeeeee please! lol:think:eek

One pattern is http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Crochet/Projects/BabyChild/LC1391+Sitting+Pretty.htm It's called Sitting Pretty.

THe other one ishttp://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Crochet/Projects/BabyChild/LW1396+Sweetie+Pie.htm It's called Sweetie Pie.

Both of them are free patterns so I didn't think it would be wrong to post it here if is is I am sorry and forgive me.

So how do I make them bigger to adjust for growing girls?

Those are very cute, but I have to admit Sitting Pretty is my favorite. And yes you may post links to free patterns. If you wander here long you will see many.

One method for enlarging a pattern is to simply use a bigger hook. Make a swatch using the next hook size up and compare the gauge. Since you know the gauge of the pattern and the finished measurements you should be able to calculate the measurements to see if the bigger hook will get you there. That said though, the larger hook will also result in changing the length so be sure to check that too. Considering the construction though you should only need to change hook on the bodice.

Another method would be to add stitches into both the front and the back of the bodice. As you only need two inches you would only have to work in 8 stitches. You should be able to do that without altering the skirt; just evenly space that first sc row and when you get to where you divide for front and back adjust for those stitches making sure to add the extra stitches to front and back sections. (4 each) Hope that makes sense.

Good luck and don't hesitate to sing out if you get stuck. There is a lot of expertise around here.

One thing I do when I'm winging my own pattern or trying to increase/decrease size for my daughter is to get one of her tops that I like the fit on her. Then I lay the chain down across the chest part (if that's where I'm working) and see how it measures out. Don't forget the chain will stretch once the rows are added so you want it a tad smaller.

After I've done a few rows, I check again and yes there are times I have had to pull it out to either make it smaller or larger. I keep checking in this manner until I'm happy it's going to be a nice fit.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived