New hooks :)

I bought some new hooks tonight. I planned on getting some Boye Aluminum hooks since they are my favorite. But I glanced over and saw Red Heart Crystalites, and for some reason I had to have them. lol They are acrylic, and came in a set of 5 - sizes G, H, I, J and K. (I'm certain others have been using acrylic hooks for quite some time, but in my middle-of-nowhere-zero-traffic-lights-nobody's-ever-heard-of-it-population-of-less-than-100 town this is a new thing!) I already have all those sizes in aluminum hooks but these were pretty. And I thought I was going to get new sizes I don't have yet.... :lol I started using one of them tonight just to try to get a feel for them; picked up a WIP bag I promised my sister I'd make for her. I am not sure how I like them yet. They are so light! And the hook is not as open as the aluminum ones. I'm tempted to say I don't like them but I haven't given them a chance yet. ;) So I will play around with some quickie projects and see if I can get used to them, and I will also have to go back to the store after pay day (this Firday) and get a couple different types of yarn to play with.

:hook

Congrats on your new hooks:cheer . I love checking out new hooks:D . I have a set of the Red Heart (aka Susan Bates) acrylic hooks and a set of the Lion Brand acrylics (also Susan Bates in-line style).

There have been reports of breakage problems with this hooks. If this happens and the place you bought them will not replace them contact Coats & Clark, they at one time were replacing broken hooks.

Keep us posted on what you think.

I prefer the aluminum Bates hooks myself - I have some acrylic and just plain old plastic ones I think - most of which I broke - the acrylic ones seem to hold up as well as the aluminum. Definately stay away from the white plastic ones if your tough on hooks :D

-Dawn

I made the mistake of buying a Clover Soft Touch and my fingers now refuse to work with anything else! I even find myself shying away from patterns that use hook sizes that I don't have the Soft Touch ones in! They make such a difference.

Tandi

Well I have worked several rows on my sister's bag with one of the crystallites. I'm using 2 strands of WW yarn together for the bag, and the end of the hook keeps snagging on the yarn. Maybe I am still not quite adjusted enough to them? I think they'll be better with a different yarn, forgive me for not knowing the different types; I just buy what's pretty. All I know is the WW. I was looking at some that's really nifty looking; I can't even find a way to describe it. I'll have to see if I can find a picture of it. Anyway I think these hooks would be fabulous with that yarn since it's thin and lightweight. I'm going to buy some this weekend and give it a try. I don't think I'll be buying any more crystallites in the future, but they are a nice little addition to my collection of hooks. :)

I have the Crystalites also. Got mine from Michael's I am in the middle of a baby blanket for #3 and the hook cracked in half. I went to Michael's and they exchanged it no problem, but I will write C and C and complain.

Remember also Boye has a different hook shape the Bates. Bates is considered in-line and I have founf the more I use them, the more I like them as the yarn doesn't "slip" as much. :hook

Archived