Hat Help

Guest lola4525

Question

Guest lola4525

Hi,

I am new to this board. I was told I could get help here. My problem is I can get the hang of making hats. Is there a secret to it? Can anyone help me with it. It seems I'm doing all right, than the hat starts to curve down to soon. It starts to look like a tube. Or it too wide and does'nt curve at all. Please help!!!!! :shrug :shrug

12 answers to this question

hi are you making hats like stocking hats? if the problem is that they start sloping in any direction you either have to many stitches or not enough. make sure you count them often and don't be afraid to:frog if you have to. you will get the hang of it. good luck and if i can help in any way let me know. vicki:)h

Lola,

I've found the biggest thing about hat making is COUNTING, those first 6-9 rounds are the biggies. If ya mess up on one of those the whole durn hat is wonky. Use stitch markers... or bread ties, or a contrasting color of yarn, to keep track of where you are. The next big thing is using the right hook size. If you use the wrong size, even if you follow the pattern exactly, the hat will be bigger/smaller. (I did this!) And finally, keeping your place in the pattern... I tend to get distracted a lot, so I keep a pencil handy (usually in my scrunchie since I can't stuff it behind my ear with my glasses!) to make a mark on the pattern at the exact spot where I stopped. (erase all old marks or you'll get confused lol)

Those are the things that caused me problems... hope it helps!

Marvie

Guest SamplerLady
mmouseplus.gifAre you using a pattern that is online? If so, give us the location and we may be able to help you sort it out. After all, it might be an error in the pattern and not in the crocheter! Check out Dot's blog for a ton'o'hat patterns!

Guest lola4525

Thanks Samplerlady, Dot's website was very interesting. I going to try one of her patterns. I won't give up!!!!!!:box :box :box:ty

Guest lola4525

I'm getting the hang of it, hats that is. I made one tonight it's to small. My crocheting is kind of tight. Can I use a larger hook and get a larger hat? Help me!!!!!! :thinking2 :th inking2:thinking2

A larger hook will increase it a bit....but try this hat for practice......

After you determine the size to stop at, you simply start single chaining the rest of the way down.

Sizes Child Sm (Child Med, Child Lg, Adult Sm, Adult Med, Adult Lg)

Made in rounds. Do not join. Do not turn.

Rnd 1....form a ring around your finger, work 6 scs in ring

Rnd 2....2scs in next 6 sts (12sts)

Rnd 3....(sc in next st, 2 scs in next st) 6 times (18sts)

Rnd 4....(sc in next 2sts, 2 scs in next st) 6 times (24sts)

Rnd 5....(sc in next 3sts, 2 scs in next st) 6 times (30sts)

Rnd 6....(sc in next 4sts, 2 scs in next st) 6 times (36sts)

Rnd 7....(sc in next 5sts, 2 scs in next st) 6 times (42sts) Stop for Child Sm

Rnd 8....(sc in next 6sts, 2 scs in next st) 6 times (48sts) Stop for Child Med

Rnd 9....(sc in next 7sts, 2 scs in next st) 6 times (54sts) Stop for Child Lg

Rnd 10...(sc in next 8sts, 2 scs in next st) 6 times (60sts) Stop for Adult Sm

Rnd 11...(sc in next 8sts, 2 scs in next st) 6 times (66sts) Stop for Adult Med

Rnd 12...(sc in next 2sts, 2 scs in next st) 6 times (72sts) Stop for Adult Lg

Hope this helps! :D!

Guest SamplerLady
After you determine the size to stop at, you simply start single chaining the rest of the way down.

mmouseplus.gif

Do you mean once you find the correct size circle, just single crochet (or any other stitch) around it not adding or subtracting any stitches? :D If so, that is pretty much how I make my hats. I don't generally use a pattern anymore.

I've made so many of them, like slippers, scarves, afghans, that I just kinda "know" how. That comes with many years of crocheting and with the basic knowledge that there are only a couple ways to do things and everything else is a variation on the theme--how often one changes colors, what stitch one uses, etc. Crocheting in spirals rather than in circles to elminate the "seam." A single crochet will produce a nice firm hat, while other stitches will produce stretchier ones. Different size hooks and yarns will produce airy or firm fabric. It's the fun of playing with the yarn and hook to determine what one gets, instead of trying to make it do what you want it to. :idea

Guest tepperleen

My rule of thumb that I read somewhere is to do increase rows (adding as many stitches per round as you started with in your first round) until the hat is 5.5 to 6 inches wide (for an adult) then stop adding stitches.

Archived