How Many Strands of Bedspread Cotton to Equal WW Cotton?

I am going to be making some potholders and have such a stash of #10 and #20 cotton and would like to use it to make them.

How many strands of this cotton do you think it would take to make a regular ww cotton?

Years ago, a friend of mine used several strands of #20 (not sure how many) to knit dishcloths and they were gorgeous! But, I no longer am in contact with her since she moved away andI have no idea how many strands I should use to do this for a potholder - or in the future, some dishcloths. I have had almost two 13-gallon trash bags of this given to me over the past few years and really need to use it up.

Has anyone ever done this or compared the # of strands that might make up a regular ww cotton for dishcloths/potholders?

Thanks!

It will probably take 4 strands of #10. You'll have to experiment and see what works. Whatever amount works up comfortably using an F or G hook will be about right. I use an F hook with worsted weight cotton to do sc for a tightly stitched face cloth and G for something looser.

I do know that 2 strands of #10 is equal to a sport weight, which is a 2 on the weight chart of yarns. Hope that helps is some way.

:)Yes, that does help. I know that it takes 2 strands of sport weight to equal 1 strand of ww in regular yarn measurements, so I think that will help a lot and it'll be just what Real Deal said about the 4 strands.

I've used 3 strands of #10 for dishcloths.

Thanks, that means I'll know how many to use for the dishcloths. I really do need to use some of this up and I'm thinking that since I have twice as much white and off-white as colors, I'll try mixing one strand of colored with 2 strands of white or off-white for some dishcloths. I both crochet and knit dishcloths, so that will come in very handy! :)

It will probably take 4 strands of #10. You'll have to experiment and see what works. Whatever amount works up comfortably using an F or G hook will be about right. I use an F hook with worsted weight cotton to do sc for a tightly stitched face cloth and G for something looser.

Great! Since you made some potholders with 4 strands, I will start off with 4 and see what happens. :)

I'll let you all know how it turned out - THANKS again!

I made a dishcloth with 2 strands of #10, one variegated, one solid. I don't remember what hook size I used. :think It was very light weight so I think 3 strands might have been better. I like my thread dishcloth better than ones made with a single strand of ww cotton. I hadn't thought to try to knit with multiple strands of thread so thanks for the idea. I also have some thread to use up but can't use a single strand with the teeny tiny hooks anymore. I almost gave all my thread away but now I'm glad I didn't. :hook:knit

Archived