Tea Cozy/Cosy

I've never made one, but I would think it would depend on its purpose... Do you need it to insulate? Or is it just for decoration?

If it's just for decoration then any fiber would work... Howwever if you want it to retain the temperature of the tea, then I'd use wool or cotton. Again, I've never made a tea cozy, but I've made many, many potholders and am using my knowledge from that...

We've had a tea cosy swap in the past, and Cupcake, our resident tea cosy designer from down under, said that acrylic actually works best. Cotton doesn't hold the heat, and wool, of course, will felt if you wash it, but acrylic is washable. Now, having written that, I have made a cotton one for my Fiesta tea pot that is mainly just for show. I have used wool and intentionally felted a tea cosy as a present. and it probably works really well. My other tea pots tend to drip a little, so the other cosies I have are made from acrylic. They work very well indeed. I guess what it comes down to is which is your preference, which fits your lifestyle best, heck, maybe even which color you prefer. I love making tea cosies! Patty

Hello!

I always use an acrylic yarn as this keeps the pot nice and warm, and washes real well. I have never had one melt, in fact the pot stays warm for hours. I have found that cotton and wool stain, and are quite expensive without any additional benefit. I am also into ridiculously loud colours so acrylic works fine for me. The trick is to have a bulky stitch to insulate. Have fun! Re the white teapot some of the english companies make plain white ones.

All the best!

I spilled boiling hot water on an acrylic yarn potholder and it didn't melt. BUT it did this weird thinning thing. Where before it had been thick and fluffy (WW yarn) afterwards, it was as thin as Size 3 cotton thread. It never did recover and was useless as a potholder after that.

Acrylic has the ability to melt, but that's typically with very high temperatures. I know some people use it for potholders, but it is much safer to use cotton for that. For a tea cozy, I would be shocked if acrylic melted from the heat of a teapot.

I believe Corelle makes a basic white teapot.

Archived