How much?

Piper0110

Ok. So I've just finished spinning and plying my first bit of yarn. 2 ounces, pretty blue, I'm content with it. It's not even, and I didn't intend it to be, but I like it, and I think my technique's improving. Will photo once dry.

So now I'm looking at this roving I bought. It's a total of 12 ounces. And I'm trying to figure out how to spin it. To do my two ounces, I just divided the roving in half, spun one, then spun the other, plyed together, the lengths were pretty close. But for 12 ounces? Is my best plan to just divide it into 12 pieces? I only have one spindle.

Also, I tried plying from center pull balls and that was a disaster. As the balls neared the end and collapsed, the twist killed them and I ended up with massive tangles. Other suggestions? I've heard people using toilet paper tubes or something along those lines.

Thanks!

I haven't tried plying anything yet, so I won't be a big help, but have you looked into Andean plying? A google search will give you several sites with instructions. It's a technique where you wrap your spun yarn around your hand/wrist and ply from both ends of one hank of yarn. That way you don't have to worry about one hunk of yarn being longer than the other.

I keep telling myself I just loooove my thick/thin singles so much there is no need to ply :lol

Holly

Archived