Hat Help

gretelgrrl

Question

Hello everyone,

I am very, very frustrated :bang (so much so that I need lots of emocions to express it!). I'm having trouble figuring out this pattern:

barney.gonzaga.edu/~aburt...#thirtytwo

I probably shouldn't have used it as my first hat pattern, but I wanted a "beanie-style" young men's hat for my good friend. (t's a very late :*hmenorah gift)

Basically, I have done increases of 2's and 3's before, but never 7's and it totally wasn't working out. It was looking like a ruffled garter because there were just too many stitches going around too small a space.

What the heck am I doing wrong??? I did it over and over and over and over again getting more and more :mad at it.

Finally, I just did increases of 2's and 3's and now I have a pretty circle in a 5.5" diameter. I'm thinking if I just stop increasing and just do the same # around when I get to about 10", that that would work... does that make sense?

but I really have no idea what the heck I am doing.

:shrug

What do you guys think?

Save me!:help

6 answers to this question

Let's see, for round 1 it says to increase 7 stitches giving you 14 total, which just means that you do 2 sc in each sc around.

ch 2, 7 sc in second chain from hook.

round 1: 2 sc in each sc around (14)

round 2: (sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc) around (21)

round 3: (sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc) around (28 )

round 4: (sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc) around (35)

round 5, 6, and 7, continue in this manner

etc..

He doesnt explain it very well. All he wants you to do is increase that number of stitches per round, not put that many stitches into each stitch. So for rounds 8-11, you would only add 4 extra stitches to each of the rounds.

Oh my gosh!!!

I'm such a dork! That totally makes sense...!!! It's actually logical the way you said it! I was literally putting 5, 6, 7 stitches in each single crochet ;) Heheheheh... d'oh!

:rotfl

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

I really appreciate it. :cheer2

Take care, I will let you know how it turns out.

Don't feel bad! I looked at that hat and pattern too and didn't attempt it because I wasn't sure what it meant either. Now that Chelle's helped out I'm certain we can both pull it off now. :))

Ooooooooooooh my gosh!!! Thank you thank you thank you, Chelle!!!

I did two very cute awesome warm snuggly "hipster boy" knit hats! They worked very quickly and look really nice!:w-lol

I'm sooooo happy!

I can't wait to get pics and post them!!!

Yay!!

:day

ZingyZoid - I highly recommend her tips :)

Archived