Chevron-Shmevron

Me&P

Question

ok... i have been lurking here for quite some time and will get around to finally posting my intro in a few... but i need some help!!!

i am trying my first chevron pattern. starting with row 2, 7dc, skip 2, 7dc, 3dc in next stitch, repeat. for row 3 i did the same thing, only with treble. then another white row of double, triple with color, then was going to do 2 with white and repeat that (hop it makes sense!).

my question: what is wrong with this? the "holes" are not in the same spot - is that normal? is it b/c i am mixing the double and triple? oh, and the pattern i fudged to get mine said to do 2 stitches in the first one of each row so that it wouldn't shrink or something...

i have posted a photo on my blog at lynlee.ebloggy.com/

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Lynlee

12 answers to this question

Wish I could help ya, I'm having fits with my ripple too, same thing with the holes migrating. I've done ripples before and it turned out just fine so I don't know what the heck I'm doing wrong this time unless it's something with the color changes?

Someone will come along in a bit that knows way more ;)

Marvie

Guest SamplerLady
mmouseplus.gifWhen I get confused in the midst of trying to change a pattern, I grab some scrap yarn and do it as the designer wrote it just to get a feel of how it goes together. I suspect there may be something with the fudging you did..

to clarify: the pattern was for all single crochet. the only thing i did differently was do 2 rows double, one triple, one double, one triple (then planned to repeat that but never got that far!).

i know how i can "fix" it by doing one less stitch in the beginning but i don't know if that would cause problems later on...

*sigh* perhaps i'll just take it out and try something different all together...

hmmm... you aren't the first to tell me that... i can see it just fine so i don't know what's wrong (or how to fix it). lets see if this works...

e258.jpg

girlie girlie - what did you do?! :eek2

starting from the beginning: the first row of your pattern is supposed to be sc all the way across the chain?

i just cked and none of my ripple patterns do that??? so that's something.

okay, just looked at the picture again and it looks like you did the increase for the hill but not the skipping for the valley? maybe i'm seeing wrong?

and...

as far as i'm thinking, there shouldn't be a problem using different stitches (sc,dc,tc) as long as you aren't changing hook or yarn sizes

looks like your stitch count is off on the yellow row ???

did i help at all :P

here is the pattern i "used":

ch multiple of 16 +2

Row 1: work 2 sc into 2nd ch from hook, *1 sc into next 7 ch, skip 1 ch, 1 sc into next 7 ch, 3 sc into next ch. rep from * to end omitting 1 sc at end of last rep, turn.

Row 2: Ch 1, work 2 sc into firstsc, * 1 sc into each of next 7 sc, skip 2 sc, 1 sc into each of next 7 sc, 3 sc into; rep from * to end omitting 1 sc at end of last rep. turn. Rep row 2, changing yarn colors at end.

i only changed the stitch - nothing else. the only other thing i did was chain an extra one or 2 depending on the stitch side. rows 1,2, and 4 (white ones) are double crochet, 2 and 5 (colored ones) are treble.

i have never had this much problem EVER! please believe me when i say that i usually know what the heck i am doing! lol

Guest SamplerLady

mmouseplus.gifI tried it exactly as you've written it out here and the count is off. I think there must be a typo in the pattern.

Try this one. It's the easiest and quickest ripple I've ever come across. I got it somewhere on the net and don't know where it came from. If anyone ever finds it, please let me know so I can give credit! :D

Specialty Stitches:

3 st dec: *yo, insert hk through next st, yo and pull lp through st, yo and pull through first 2 lps on hk. Repeat from * twice. Yo and pull through remaining 4 lps on hk.

2 st dec: *yo, insert hk through next st, yo and pull lp through st, yo and pull through first 2 lps on hk. Repeat from * once. Yo and pull through remaining 3 lps on hk.

Instructions: Chain a multiple of 16 stitches plus 2 stitches

Row 1: Dc in 3rd ch from hk. Dc in next 6 ch. 3 dc in next ch. Dc in next 6 ch. *Work 3 st dec in next 3 ch. Dc in next 6 ch. 3 dc in next ch. Dc in next 6 ch. Repeat from * across. End by working 2 st dec in last 2 ch. Ch 2 and turn.

Row 2: Skip first dc. Dc in nect 7 dc. 3 dc in next dc. Dc in next 6 dc. *Work 3 st dec in next 3 dc. Dc in next 6 dc. 3 dc in next dc. Dc in next 6 dc. Repeat from * across. End my working 2 st dec in last dc and top of turning ch. Ch 2 and turn.

Repeat row 2 until afghan is desired length.

Archived