Question from a NC Newbie

Guest NCAugeriFan

Question

Guest NCAugeriFan

Hi ~

I posted a (rather lengthy) introduction tonight and thought I would bring my first (of many) questions here. My crochet skills are limited to just single and double crochet. I have difficulty reading patterns and get confused at times where to place the last stitch at the end of a row....through a stitch or through a turning chain from the previous row?

I also have trouble with granny squares....I can do the first round but after that I'm lost :thinking2

I've been crocheting on and off for 20 years but never really got serious about going beyond the basics until now. I want 2005 to be the year I learn to go beyond the basics.

:ty

Cadie

9 answers to this question

Guest lillian1969

there is software called crochet made simple it would be a good place for you to start.

It shows how to do stitches with a video

It shows how to make granny squares

How to read patterns

It is great.

Welcome to the board! When doing single crochets, you do a chain one then single crochet in first stitch and each remaining stitch. Then when you get to the end, you would sc in the last sc. With double crochets, you chain 3 to turn which counts as your first double crochet so you skip the very first stitch and continue double crochet on down. You would then do your last double crochet in the top ch of the turning ch 3 since it's counted as a double crochet.

I hope this helps :)

Guest SamplerLady

mmouseplus.gifIt's the space created by the ch 2. If you look at the pic (click for a close up) of the granny square right above the p is a space that's created by making a ch 2. Each of the corner spaces are made that way.

When you "double crochet in the ch 2 space" you yarn over, insert your hook in the hole, yarn over and pull yarn through the hole, then yarn over and pull through two loops and yarn over and pull through two loops.

Is that clear? th_Ch2sp.jpg

Archived